What to do with small gnarly pieces of wood ?

You use a wedge and a sledge hammer.

They split better from top to bottom.

For future trimming info you don't cut them into Y's. Instead cut one of the branches as parallel to the main limb/trunk as possible. Then split there with a wedge.

Right, don't create these things.

But I was not involved in that part, FIL had a tree service remove the tree, they cut it up into pieces, and then I got the pieces.

Tree service cut it the way I would prune a bush or a tree. I would've done it differently for the smoker.

How about picking up a band saw on CL or FB Market? Not sure why I didn't think of that earlier. Now I might do it too. I used a slide miter box on some cherry splits. I had one jump on me. Another jumped really bad and jamb up bad even knocking off about a 2" piece of the aluminum fence. Now very hesitant with that method.

My old man once told me, “ Don’t put $20 of effort into a $10 problem.” This may be an example.

Looks like most of those would fit in a vice. Clamp em down and use your chainsaw.

I've thought about this, but they won't fit in my workbench vise. Maybe if i could find some different type of clamps.

I built a sawbuck. But that still doesn't keep smaller pieces from rolling when the chain saw blade hits.

If I could find a way to clamp the piece into the saw buck, that may work.

My old man once told me, “ Don’t put $20 of effort into a $10 problem.” This may be an example.

This^^^^^^^^^^here. I think that I would send one out in the bottom of each trash sack on collection day until they are all gone. Seems like the only way to make them useful is going to cost you a lot more than they are worth.

Cheapest route would be the wedge and a 10 pound sledge, but it won't be easy given the odd shapes. Plus, pecan is a difficult wood to split anyway, even straight pieces.

Or give them to somebody going camping.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Robert

I've thought about this, but they won't fit in my workbench vise. Maybe if i could find some different type of clamps.

I built a sawbuck. But that still doesn't keep smaller pieces from rolling when the chain saw blade hits.

If I could find a way to clamp the piece into the saw buck, that may work.

Ratchet straps....

Back