Ketchup vs Heinz 57

I love ketchup on a lot of stuff, but steak is not one of them.
I will use A1 on a lot of leftover beef/red meat wild game products though.
Heinz 57 is liquid gold on pork!

Took me years to train myself to not cook meat well done like I grew up on but I always liked Heinz 57 back in the day.

I actually hated steak growing up because my mom always cooked it well done.
All I knew growing up was dry leathery steak.

Heinz57 for the well done steaks and pork chops, Heinz ketchup for the burgers and fries.
Very good point. Mom and dad always cooked the hell out of pork chops either in the kitchen or on the Weber. 57 was the perfect adder.

Using ketchup is absolutely fine! Until you turn six, then people will give you a funny look. Gene & Jude's hot dogs in suburban Chicago does not have any ketchup in the building. If you want ketchup, you better bring your own. If you ask for it while ordering a hot dog, they will tell you to leave.

Ketchup,57,A-1 all have their place.I would think it is up to the eater to decide where? I use all three on occasion,usually separately,depending on the meal.Condiments can be compliments when used correctly.I think I will roast a prime rib,cooked to medium rare,slathered with all three and see what the outcome is.Thanks for the trip down memory lane A.

Using ketchup is absolutely fine! Until you turn six, then people will give you a funny look. Gene & Jude's hot dogs in suburban Chicago does not have any ketchup in the building. If you want ketchup, you better bring your own. If you ask for it while ordering a hot dog, they will tell you to leave.
Sounds similar to some of the best pasty shops in the U.P. back in the ole days.

btw...thanks again for that vid. Used it to piss off some ketchup lovers :thumb:

Not a huge ketchup fan. I never use it on burgers, dogs, or sausage. I sometimes use it on fries.

I found "True Made" brand, which is marketed to the Paleo/Keto crowd as "50% less sugar". As far as ketchups go - it is really good. It has more umami and makes regular ketchup taste syrupy to me.

Give it a shot.

Back in the late 60's my dad would 'grill' steaks over coals until they were well done.
We all had to dredge those crispy morsels through a lake of ketchup to choke them down.

If I find a cheap steak I may have to relive this memory, just for old times sake.
I may not enjoy it, but it could be a well done tribute to the old man.

For what it's worth, if you are a fan of the red stuff, try Brooks Catsup, darn good stuff.

I love ketchup on dogs, burgers, fries, and...beef stew!!! If you want to take ketchup to the next level mix with large amounts of black pepper or hot sauce...yes, please!

I love ketchup on dogs, burgers, fries, and...beef stew!!!

And baked beans, scrambled eggs, ham steaks, onion rings, Philly cheese steaks, & tater tots.

Not on a dog though - that's for mustard.

I don't think I've ever had this Heinz 57 stuff you guys are talking about. Is it a BBQ sauce?

My way includes ketchup on burgers, fries, and sometimes a cold roast beef sandwich.
Breakfast American fried potatoes like ketchup, lots of Tapatio sauce on runny yolk eggs, and fried ham steak with just a small dot of H57 on the corner of each bite. Rye toast.

I fear this thread has opened up a "Pandora's Bottle" from which no return is possible...

ketchup.gif

Last edited:
I like ketchup on plain scrambled eggs....also onion rings.
Whataburger, spicy is my favorite.

Back