Corned Beef Burnt Ends on UDS

SOSM

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I just finished seasoning a UDS I built. I named it Fat Man because it kind of looks like a bomb. So I seasoned it and then did some poppers the next day. As I lurked yesterday I developed a desire to try something different, at least for me. I have been craving burnt ends and knew that I could find some good deals on corned beef being this close after St Patrick's day. I found a nice 3 lb corned beef (point) and decided my experiment would be corned beef burnt ends.

To start, I soaked the corned beef over night in water to get a little bit of the saltiness out. I changed it twice. I rinsed and patted it dry then covered it in Plowboys Bold for pork. Fired up the UDS and running it with hickory. I have to run some errands so I plan on going low and slow to get some smoke flavor and then pick the pit temp up a bit, braise, and then get it sticky.

SOSM

Attachments

• IMG_1317.jpg
    IMG_1317.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_1319.jpg
    IMG_1319.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 256
Well? Waiting?! We need to see smoke rolling like Nagasaki outta fat man. What temp you planning to chunk it for the ends? Sauce thoughts?

Suspense is killing me.

Well I was hoping to have the burnt ends for a late dinner but it may end up being early. I needed to leave for a while. When I left the UDS was running steady at 230. I returned two hours later and it was at 333. The wind picked up when I was gone and blowing pretty good. I checked the meat and it was at 165 so I pulled it. I put it in a pan with some beef brother, sealed it up, and back in the UDS. Trying to get the pit temp to come down a little now.

I have never done burnt ends before. I plan on pulling somewhere near 195. Drain the broth. Take the fat off the top. Chunk the meat and glaze with the left over broth mixed with some sweet sauce. I am debating on the sauce. I know the meat will be a bit salty so I am thinking about a sauce sweetened with a little brown sugar.

I have some fresh sour kraut and marbled rye to go with it.

Thoughts...suggestions?

I read that thread yesterday. Great job Josh! However, my wife is the most boring PICKY eater EVER! She wont touch it if mustard is involved. Realistically, she will only have a piece or two anyway and will pass on the kraut. But if I make it like I would want it then I have a problem on my hand. I would actually like one of the vinegar based sauces. Or even do a beer based one with Newcastle. Heaven forbid I go out of the box.

LOL, its all good.

Just about done. Pulled and chunked. Added some rub and a bit of sauce. Put them back in covered in foil for a bit longer then will go for icky-sticky.

The sauce is half drippings, half BBQ sauce and 1/4 cup brown sugar.

Attachments

• IMG_1320.jpg
    IMG_1320.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1321.jpg
    IMG_1321.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1322.jpg
    IMG_1322.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 211
Very creative! I bet that the corned beef brought another dimension to the burnt ends.

Hey I'm thinking of doing this exact thing for a smoke-off at my church. Are you happy with how they turned out? Would you do anything different?

Hey I'm thinking of doing this exact thing for a smoke-off at my church. Are you happy with how they turned out? Would you do anything different?

I was happy how they turned out; however, corned beef may not be for everyone. I liked it because it was something different. Others, who are not adventurous will probably pass.

If I did them again, I would cube them up smaller. They were a tad dry, probably something to do with the corning and the fat. Used more of a beef profile on them. May change that up a bit to more of sweeter profile to compliment the salt. Dunno...I keep thinking a Bavarian sausage profile would be best.

Hah. That's what I love about this forum. We have people corning things I'd have never thought of, and others doing burnt ends out of things I'd never consider. Love it! Looks great, and thanks for posting the creativity!

Those look great and sounds like fun to do. Wonder if some type of horseradish sauce would compliment it more. Maybe mixed into bbq sauce? Time to find one an begin playing around

Back