• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wild Game Cooking?

Never said it was bad. Just defending my honor. Try the roast on your smoker, foil with broth fortified with garlic and pepper until it hits 205, then rest it a bit and let me know. If it doesn't pull, I'll let you buy me a beer and we can discuss it some time. :-D

Only one problem. All my deer from this year has gone through the grinder already. I do have some Backstraps left but they are my favorite jerky meat or I use a slicer to get them paper thin and wrap big diver scallops with them. Come to a BBQ comp this year. I'll buy ya a beer no problem.

Great thread. Not very creative here. Mostly make CFS out of the backstrap & tenderloins & then make a good amount of chili and the rest is whatever my wife wants to do with ground venison (meatloaf or spaghetti usually).

Everyone knows that Missouri White Tail Does taste best :thumb:

Would like to verify this. Have only had Texas, Arkansas and Tennessee venison. Please send a backstrap (or several from different areas of the state) and i will post results.

Looks great! A large part of my family food comes from wild game-deer, wild hogs, and all kinds of other game. I find that deer meat works great any way you would use beef or lamb.

Too lean for pulled.

Not true, IMO. I make deer bbq frequently, and it turns out great. I like to drape it with bacon while I'm cooking it, though.

Looks great! A large part of my family food comes from wild game-deer, wild hogs, and all kinds of other game. I find that deer meat works great any way you would use beef or lamb.

Not true, IMO. I make deer bbq frequently, and it turns out great. I like to drape it with bacon while I'm cooking it, though.

I am wrong, Its not too lean. You just drape fat over it for the flavor right. Its not that its too lean so much as it is the lack of intermuscular fat and conective tissue that converts to gelatin and creates meat soft enough to pull. Unless its sausage IMO roasts taste nasty. Too much good meat out there. I love venison sausage though.

A small grocery store in my town has a pork shoulder sale every 2nd week of deer hunting. I buy 35 lbs. ground. I then get the equiv of about 1 deer ground per year and then make meatballs, meatloaf, and burgers with a 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 pork to venison ratio. It makes for some good eating and my family loves it. I made a smoked meatball stew the other day that was not too shabby.

I got three white tail this year and have been using the meat a lot lately. I love the stuff. :grin:

buck-n-bourbon is tasty and you can throw anything into the pot.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127637
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153766

brats and andouille sausage..
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148471

snak sticks on the UDS..
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146201

venison shoulder on the campfire.. I like it marinated then slow roasted
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137602

venison pastrami has to be one of my favorites..
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123467

Ate venison stew the last two days. Really kept me warm through the blizzard. :-D

Obviously you've never had a corn fed Illinois whitetail, everyone knows they taste the best...:becky:

lol I bet they're tasty!! Sometimes friends bring home corn fed Kansas deer. The fat layer on those deer amazes me! :becky:

Obviously you've never had a corn fed Illinois whitetail, everyone knows they taste the best...:becky:

Nah...

Missouri Soybean fed, dropped where it stands doe, shot at 120 yards with a 30/30 using synthetic tip rounds. That's the high quality stuff right there!! Haha!

In all seriousness though, any one else try deer heart?? Omg....best stuff on the planet!

Flyingbassman,

I remember a venison cook you posted on that killer vitage coleman a while back!

I enjoy venison heart myself. I have had it fried with onions, battered and fried, cleaned, parboiled, then stuffed and baked, and even pickled. I thought the pickled was strange but good. I heard my dad and uncle reminissing about the pickled heart their aunt made for second weekend of hunting when they were boys. I surprised them at deer camp with some after I found a recipe. They were floored and said it was as good as the long-gone aunts.

How do you like to fix your heart?

Nah...

Missouri Soybean fed, dropped where it stands doe, shot at 120 yards with a 30/30 using synthetic tip rounds. That's the high quality stuff right there!! Haha!

In all seriousness though, any one else try deer heart?? Omg....best stuff on the planet!

Got an Arkansas doe a couple of years ago that must have been living in a neighbor's soybean field. She was huge with the biggest fat layer i've ever seen on a deer & she was the tastiest meat i've ever had.

We soak the heart in salt water for a day then slice it, tenderize it with the jacquard then soak in milk, batter with flour with S&P in it, then chicken-fry it & serve with white gravy (the same way my wife does backtrap, except she doesn't soak the backstrap in salt H2O).

Cherrywood - I just realized we are dang near neighbors...I'm over in Bloomington.

Here is my late season doe...all 180 lbs of her!

e78e5be5.jpg

The backstraps, inner loins and roasts from this girl were some of the best I've had.

I'm glad someone brought up cooking the heart, this is something I've always wanted to do but just haven't had the knowledge on how best to prepare it.

Any tips and tricks would be great - cherrywood - hope this isn't a hijack.

Last edited:
I usually clean it, slice it, then season with a little salt and pepper and sometimes a little bit of steak seasoning. Cook over medium high heat in a pan until medium rare. I've overcooked it a few times like that and it just becomes too tough. Cook it just enough to be edible but is still juicy red.

Great looking doe Smoking Westy! I have a heart or two in the freezer... looking forward to trying some of these recipes.

I have not tried actually smoking venison. But I have grilled with gas or lump and wood. Either way my favorite thing to do is marinate steaks, tenderloin, back straps, etc for a few hours in a simple marinade.

In a ziplock I throw in (everything to taste):
Chopped garlic
Ground pepper
Sea salt
Fresh rosemary with the leaves stripped and rough chopped
1/4-1/2 cup of olive oil
1/4-1/2 of a decent red wine.

It sure has ruined me for anything else with venison!

Back