• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

International WSM Smoke Day

B

BrooklynQ

Like we needed an excuse to cook...

OK boys and girls, here's a new one on me - International WSM Smoke Day! This is actually the Second International Weber Smokey Mountain Smoke Day which is always held on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. This year, that's May 27th. I don’t know how I missed it last year.

Joel Kiess over at The Virtual Weber Bullet Forum came up with the idea and I'll let him explain it... "It's the one day each year when people from around the world cook in unison to celebrate their enthusiasm for the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker and for barbecue in general."

I just saw a new Weber grill commercial last night...a teenage girl is cooking kebobs, usings a CHIMNEY to start her fire, and her sister chimes in something like "for her birthday she got a wireless thermometer".

Maybe there IS hope for the next generation.

Damn, I work that weekend. I will still firgure out a way to cook over open fire that weekend.

chad said:
I just saw a new Weber grill commercial last night...a teenage girl is cooking kebobs, usings a CHIMNEY to start her fire, and her sister chimes in something like "for her birthday she got a wireless thermometer".

The next generation will be fine. My son is into bbq as much as me. I wish i started at his age

I am planning on cooking and using my WSM. Any reason to make some Q.

so does this require that you use a wsm to cook?

I smoked last year the first WSM Smoke Day and plan to do it again this year. Heck I've been smoking that weekend as long as I can remember since my birthday always falls around Memorial Day.

billm said:
so does this require that you use a wsm to cook?

Heck-ee naw! :-D Last year I cooked a butt and a brisket in my WSM and 3 slabs of spares on my Chargriller.

chad said:

I am with Sled.... There is no need to worry about the next generation. My two girls help me all the time. This is my 5 year old hooking Dad up with some lunch just last weekend while I was working in the yard. Note the little brush she saw at the store she had to have to clean "her" grill as well as the small bag of wood chips. Hebrew Nationals cooked up with a touch of mesquite smoke.... Good stuff...
(obviously I monitor her closely when she is around "her kettle")

I am also cooking on my new WSM on National Smoke Day.... Don't know what yet but something is getting it....

Saturday morning, I plan on scouring the town for a brisket but I won't be able to actually start it until Sunday. I'll be working(on call) all this weekend and won't go offcall until 7pm Sunday. Plan on having it ready to throw on the smoker by 9pm Sunday night and smoke till Monday.

Back