FEC -100 Cover is $410.00?!?!?

trohrs123

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
do any FEC-100 owners know when this price went insane? I bought 2 covers in 2011 and they were about $125.00. I called Cookshack and they confirmed that this is the correct price. I let them know how unhappy I was with that.. I mean come on almost $1000.00 with shipping for 2 covers...CRAZY:crazy:

Holy crap! Yeah I second using a tarp and bungees. Works great for my larger cooker and only cost like $20. Sometimes paying a little extra for a custom fitting cover is worth it, but not $410 worth it :razz:.

That is nuts! My cover has a hole in it and I was going to order a new one. I guess I'll figure out a way to patch the old one.

Holy crap! Yeah I second using a tarp and bungees. Works great for my larger cooker and only cost like $20. Sometimes paying a little extra for a custom fitting cover is worth it, but not $410 worth it :razz:.

The FEC cover is designed so you can cook with the cover on the unit. Pellets are like The Goonies, bad things happen if you get them wet. I don't think you could get the same results with a tarp unless you want to do some sewing.

That said, $410 is a little crazy.

Tim,

Did they tell you why the price increased like that? I was just about to toss out my old one with the busted zipper, glad I didn't now.

Chris,

I get that but they were almost 1/4 that price like 2 years ago. Also the hopper lid keeps the water out even without a cover. And FYI, its gremlins you cant get wet or feed after midnight.

all the zippers broke on my 2 covers...so I figured I would order now...after seeing the price online I called to make sure it wasnt a mistake...he said no it was not a mistake and that there was a price increase in january... I told him like 4 times the price? WTF How do you justify that? He had no idea. But I did write a letter of complaint to their office about how happy I am with their cooker but that price leaves a sour taste in my mouth towards the whole company...will see how they respond
I cant imagine they will have any sales of those covers for that price

farkin nuts. a WSM cover is like a buck two fitty...and it's not even WATERPROOF!

and it's actually a mogwai you can't get wet or feed after midnight. they then TURN INTO gremlins. after that you can get them wet all you like. goonies on the other hand i'd still shy away from wetting.

Munchee

If the zippers are bad why not take it to someone who does car seat covers and get new zippers.

Before they made covers I had one done custom using vinyl. Have to remove to cook. It was reasonable but at todays inflation $400 probably looks good. Look for a local shop that does boat covers. See how much it costs. Bashing cookshack is not productive.

Dayum that is very very expensive! Is this part of cap and trade on fuel prices.
The price of everything is exploding. I bought a new batter for my Honda quad and it was retailed at $125.00 dollars. That was 2 years ago.

goonies on the other hand i'd still shy away from wetting.

Yeah, they don't like it either :becky:

I have a Cookshack Charbroiler, and the lid on THAT doesn't keep water off pellets. As a result I'm really nervous getting water anywhere near pellets, so I run my FEC with the cover on all the time.

On the upside, thanks to the Charbroiler I have a lot of experience taking apart auger motors should the FEC ever need it. :becky:

Tim: I wonder if a luggage repair place would put new zippers on for you? Since the new covers are a grand, worth thinking about.

The FEC cover is designed so you can cook with the cover on the unit. Pellets are like The Goonies, bad things happen if you get them wet. I don't think you could get the same results with a tarp unless you want to do some sewing.

That said, $410 is a little crazy.

You mean gremlins? :becky:

Really! Wow, I'm sure they raised the price because they are paying more. Like said above, find a seamstress or upholstery shop and get your broken zippers replaced. I have to make a new cover every year for the pellet works on my Jambo. Waterproof fabric is pretty cheap on ebay. I store it outside and I like black so the cover gets sun bleached. Winter didn't last long enough to make a fresh one for this year yet. Not hard to cover a box (even a pellet hopper on a Charbroiler), anyone who can run a sewing machine could do it.

Must be a cover conspiracy Backwoods covers went way up but not that much they said only a few companies making these thing they said if that true.:crazy:

to buy a $400 cover to replace one because the zipper is broke, they better damn sure they have a great zipper on the newer ones !!

The price sounds pretty outrageous to me.

About 4 months ago, I purchased a cover for my Meadow Creek TS-250 with BBQ42. Total length is about 15ft. Customer made to fit over the smoke stack, etc...

This is very heavy duty!!! Canvas; not some of the cheaper plastic type stuff. No offense, but the cover I purchased from BWS for the FatBoy is nowhere near the quality!

I paid $99.00 for the BWS cover.

I paid $285.00 for the Meadow Creek cover.

The Meadow Creek cover will most likely out live all of us.

wallace

Back