• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Now this is great. Wish I hadn't already ordered my stumps so I could make a decision based on this review. As a previous Backwoods gator owner, I can tell you I wouldn't buy another but I am curious to see how it works next to the stumps and others.

To each his own. After cooking on a Stumps Classic two years ago for 6 months, I would not have another Stumps for anything!! I'm intersted in seeing how the Throw Down shapes up!! It'll be a good thing to do. I am really hoping that someone with some of the other gravity rigs and water rigs is in the area and willing to play!

I picked up my two new SS-One smokers yesterday, and they are a thing of beauty. I really love the addition of the grease pan holder and the ball valve on the side. That helps keep the Guru fan wires from getting caught in the door. And it doesn't hurt that I can now cook up to 40 Butts, 20 Briskets, and 20 racks of ribs.

I really want to come attend this throw down on the 26th, because I've been singing the praises of these Superior's all year, and its great to see a fellow competitor and friend revamp the company. I could never understand why Stumps had such a long waiting list, and I was able to get my Superiors in just a few weeks. I think the SS-One's and SS-Two's are the perfect Size, and putting the firebox in the back, to allow the door to open 180*, is a HUGE improvement over the Stumps design. I think you guys are going to be pleasantly surprised with the results of the throw down!

If I were a gravity guy, then the Superiors really are the unit I would go with. But, given that you will have to pry my meat off of a water smoker.....ahemmm.....Backwoods....it'll be a long time before you see me on one!!!

Ok everybody, the Great 2013 Smoker Throw down just got serious....we have a videographer willing to work for BBQ and beer!!!

A bangs, since I've never used a water smoker, what is the difference between a backwoods or a Superior with the water pan in the bottom? That it isn't boiling, or something about the heat coming from the bottom?

Backwoods cooks from the top.....draft in the bottom...call it convection!!! If you come over for the throw down you will see!!

abangs where in gainesville is this taking place and what time i would like to come by and check them out in person

Looking forward to see this throwdown!! Starting to look for a vertical smoker.

pwa

As I am in the market for a vertical smoker, I am looking forward to this throw down. I wish you could get a PitMaker and a Rebel and even an Assassin to be a part of this throw down.

Awesome job putting this together!

Larry
MAD DAWGZ BBQ

Gentlemen,
We are going to post pone the Smoker Throwdown that was scheduled for this Saturday due to a famliy death. We will reschedule it and post here.

To each his own. After cooking on a Stumps Classic two years ago for 6 months, I would not have another Stumps for anything!! I'm intersted in seeing how the Throw Down shapes up!! It'll be a good thing to do. I am really hoping that someone with some of the other gravity rigs and water rigs is in the area and willing to play!

I have so much faith in your non bias test now.

Yeah, this is a great idea, but I think it would be better if the same person cooked on all 3, or was in charge of the cook and directed the minions. Why? Well, whats that saying I hear all the time around here? "Its the cook not the cooker."

I have so much faith in your non bias test now.

That is why a Superior guy will cook on the Superior, a Stumps guy on the Stumps, and a Backwoods guy on the Backwoods. I think you need to read the entire thread before posting....please....and if you don't mind, leave the S/A comments to yourself.

Yeah, this is a great idea, but I think it would be better if the same person cooked on all 3, or was in charge of the cook and directed the minions. Why? Well, whats that saying I hear all the time around here? "Its the cook not the cooker."

Please read the entire thread start to finish......same recipes, same coal, same temp, same everything. It will be unbiased.

As of right now, it is postponed due to a family death. If you all do not mind, please check back later. We'll post the fair, unbiased results. As we said earlier, we will not be posting our personal preferences or opinions, only data type information and pictures of the finished products. We will let you all know when we reschedule. Thank you all.

Andy - The Backwoods Guy
Kevin - The Superior Guy
Allen - The Stumps Guy

Back