Trying some new lump

Garrett

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have found a supplier that has B&B lump. I've never used it so I was wondering which type do you use and why? The oak, Hickory, or Mesquite? I use RO lump now but am always wanting to try something new. Or should I stick with RO. After my experience with the Cowboy stuff last weekend I'm afraid.

I bought two bags of B&B Oak lump charcoal and they were good. The lumps were fair size and not much waste. It started fast with minimal sparking. They were priced right at $12 per bag. The third bag I bought was terrible though :sad:
The lumps sparked so bad and made huge mess around the chimney. Now I’m reluctant to buy any more of this brand, since the quality is not very consistent.
I primarily use lump charcoal (my preference), and I like Wicked Good Charcoal (weekend warrior blend) the best, but it’s not always easy to find.
I agree with you on the Cowboy brand, it’s the worst.

I have been using B&B fairly exclusively since Academy Sports opened in my area this summer. They only seem to stock the Oak regularly but when they first opened they had Hickory so I bought several bags of both. The hickory is quite nice, as is the oak. The intensity of the smoke from the charcoal alone is not much to worry about. Try each of them and see what you think.

JM Setzler,

Is there an Academy in Hickory? If so , where at? Wife has family near Cajah's Mtn. We are up that way weekly.

JM Setzler,

Is there an Academy in Hickory? If so , where at? Wife has family near Cajah's Mtn. We are up that way weekly.

It's on Highway 70 along the main drag through there... It's in the shopping center near Valley Hills Mall... It's in the strip where Circuit City and Office Depot used to be.

It's on Highway 70 along the main drag through there... It's in the shopping center near Valley Hills Mall... It's in the strip where Circuit City and Office Depot used to be.

Thanks I know where that is. There is one in Rockhill Sc about 40 minutes from the house but never go that way. I will wait till next week when we go to Caldwell county.

I actually live in Valdese now right off exit 111 on I40. I moved here last summer but I have lived in Hickory all my life prior to that. I was really happy to see Academy Sports come to town. They have a large selection of grills and BBQ accessories. The 20lb bags of B&B lump are $12.99 and they usually have cherry, apple, hickory, mesquite, and pecan wood chunks in bags as well...

I will make a trip there. Been looking for cherry chunks too. Thanks for the info. Wife's family lives off exit 113 just past lake Rhodhiss.

Last edited:
Out here in Norcal I use Lazzari lump oak. I like the mesquite when I'm doing poultry though.

Out here in Norcal I use Lazzari lump oak. I like the mesquite when I'm doing poultry though.
Cash & Carry, which is the same company as Iris Smart & Final carries Lazzari here in Idaho but only mesquite. I wish they had hickory but to be honest the mesquite flavor is barely distinguishable and a few chunks of hickory will take over the flavor easily.

Last edited:
Picked up a bag of the Hickory tonight for a weekend smoke. I have used the Oak before with good results.

BnB oak has never failed me. Always works well.

If you got an ace hardware near, you can buy Wicked Good Weekend warrior online and they will ship it to the store at no charge. Bit more expensive but its real good. Where i'm at its about 22 bucks for 22 pounds. The B&B I used was ok but I really wasnt too impressed.

I use B&B and RO pretty much interchangeably, depending on what is on sale and if I'm in the mood to drive more than three miles to get it. The BBQ emporium & country meat market in my little home town stocks B&B for some reason, although they cook exclusively with KBB and pecan wood.

Im a big fan of Royal Oak...I love the flavor it gives and the fact that i can get it for $5 a bag at Menards for a 10 lb bag.

B&B Oak lump has become my go-to. Love that stuff!

B&B oak is good stuff it burns hot and long, I have been using in exclusively for awhile now I highly recommend it, it might pop in the chimney starter but not in the smoker :D

Sent from my SGH-T999

Back