Flowerpot Smoker on eBay

Made my own a couple of weeks ago

Thanks to the Good Eats Show, made a cooker almost the same as this. Used an electric hotplate from the hardware store and a cast iron frying pan with the handle cut off for the wood. (also more mass from the cast iron. A little bit of adjusting the temperature initially and now it's holding very steady temperatures, Right now I have an 8 pound shoulder smokin away since 8 pm last night. Meat temperature is up to 190 finally, 21 hours seems like a long time, no? Any words of wisdom from the brothers? :?:
Thanks
Tom

Re: Made my own a couple of weeks ago

t-bone49 said:
Thanks to the Good Eats Show, made a cooker almost the same as this. Used an electric hotplate from the hardware store and a cast iron frying pan with the handle cut off for the wood. (also more mass from the cast iron. A little bit of adjusting the temperature initially and now it's holding very steady temperatures, Right now I have an 8 pound shoulder smokin away since 8 pm last night. Meat temperature is up to 190 finally, 21 hours seems like a long time, no? Any words of wisdom from the brothers? :?:
Thanks
Tom

btw.. what size flower pot did you use, and how much did you pay? I've found a coupld 21"er's that might work, but they're expensive.... i think a 20" weber grill grate will fit perfectly inside.. just the right size for a brisket...

RE: Re: Made my own a couple of weeks ago

Yo evil!
I'll measure it up in the a.m. and get back to you with the specifics.
Tom

sounds good.. i'm too cheap to pay for a real lazy-quer... they had a sale on hotplates at my local big lots the other day $5.99 down from $7.99... lol. If it works well.. i'll actually be able to have good q during the week.

here's the info evil

Measured my flowerpot cooker for ya. The inside diameter on the lower pot 17 1/2" outside diameter and the pot that fits on top measures 18" inside diameter. Wish I had a digital camera, oh well. The top pot is more of bowl hape, not a flowerpot shape V like the bottom. Picked up both pieces at Home Depot. Think it was less than $20 for both.

I used a masonry bit to drill a hole throught the bottom pot at grill level for inserting a digital thermometer. The drainage hole on the bottom pot allows air in and the hole in the top pot allows smoke out.

The only problem with the hot plate is that it requires you to remove the grill and metal pan to make adjustments to the temperature if needed. I plan to next drill a 3/4" hole level with the temperature control knob. That should be good enough to reach through with a needle nose pliers to make any adjustments.

Any size pot you use should work. I happened to find a Charmglow replacement round grill that fit my pot perfectly. If the Weber grill works with the larger pot, use it. Hey, I'm having fun, the pork shoulders have been coming out great. Haven't done a brisket yet. Hmmm.

Good luck to ya!
Tom :)

Back