• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Lump coal only?

Cobra7

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
If lump coal has all the bad stuff burnt out of it and its 100% wood, why not use only lump charcoal?

Well, here is why i don't use it all the time. I do use it for some applications, but not for smoking.

Lump comes in bags that are half full of nice sized chunks, and the other half is either huge, or crumbs that fall through the grate. Add the fact that I'd have to pay more for it, and it does not appeal to my "poor" side.

For smoking, briquettes give me even, predictable heat. I add wood chunks for my smoke.

I love lump for grilling a steak. Great heat. I buy Kroger lump. It is cheap, and made by Royal Oak. Since 10-20 percent is going to be wasted, the price of Kroger lump works for me.

If I had money to burn (pun intended), I'd have a patio full of expensive cookers, and a garage full of expensive lump charcoal. But, I don't have money to burn, and quite frankly, I eat very well off my Webers and briquettes, that's what I use.

CD

Well, here is why i don't use it all the time. I do use it for some applications, but not for smoking.

Lump comes in bags that are half full of nice sized chunks, and the other half is either huge, or crumbs that fall through the grate. Add the fact that I'd have to pay more for it, and it does not appeal to my "poor" side.

For smoking, briquettes give me even, predictable heat. I add wood chunks for my smoke.

I love lump for grilling a steak. Great heat. I buy Kroger lump. It is cheap, and made by Royal Oak. Since 10-20 percent is going to be wasted, the price of Kroger lump works for me.

If I had money to burn (pun intended), I'd have a patio full of expensive cookers, and a garage full of expensive lump charcoal. But, I don't have money to burn, and quite frankly, I eat very well off my Webers and briquettes, that's what I use.

CD

You make some good points. I am using Royal Oak as we speak to cook some chicken. This is my first time cooking with lump. That's when it hit me about asking the question.

I love lump for smoking due to the low ash factor. Works great for steaks too. I pretty much use stubbs briquettes on the grill and lump with about 20% stubbs on the smoker (wsm). I will say we have a local place called Grove Charcoal that makes a superior lump IMO.

If lump coal has all the bad stuff burnt out of it and its 100% wood, why not use only lump charcoal?

More importantly,why use briquettes?Have you ever seen how they're made?Rotten mulch and coal.Yes coal,as in steam engine or smelting metal coal.Not for me.

I can't tolerate the taste of charcoal briquettes. Yes, I can taste it when it is used for primary fuel, nasty.

First, all lump is not created equal. That is to say...what exactly was it? We could turn this thread into a "What did you find in your lump that was not hardwood?" thread no problem. How many times have you found a piece of plywood or some random object in a bag of lump?

I burn lump. I burn Kingsford blue (to start a bed of coals, then on to sticks). I burn sticks...lots and lots of sticks.

Try a cook with just lump and then try one with wood mixed in your lump and see what you like. I'm betting that you'll pick the mix.

Having trouble finding good hardwood to fit in your cooker and that is why you are considering only lump? If there is a cabinet maker in your area, he's got tons of unfinished (and I stress unfinished, just the raw wood) hardwood scraps at his shop. Trade him a box of oak or alder scraps for a rack of ribs. He's just going to burn it anyway, you both win.

I burn a mix of lump, briquettes and hard wood. I'm not sure why I started doing this, but I like the results. Burns well with decent smoke.

im no expert but i use lumps to start a bed then its all sticks for me ....i will add lumps if and only if i kill the fire

My Old Country Pecos don't like lump......top temps only 250-260. I know that is hot enough for smoking, but it goes through a bunch to keep it there.
Stick for me.....

I have used RO lump only for years. Just has the best flavor IMO & flavor is what it's all about, no?. I cook on a Stump's so cost of fuel is not a concern as it is very efficient.

I love the lump and use it most of the time. Try going to Sam's Club....they have a 20# bag that is great!!!!

First, all lump is not created equal. That is to say...what exactly was it? We could turn this thread into a "What did you find in your lump that was not hardwood?" thread no problem. How many times have you found a piece of plywood or some random object in a bag of lump?

I burn lump. I burn Kingsford blue (to start a bed of coals, then on to sticks). I burn sticks...lots and lots of sticks.

Try a cook with just lump and then try one with wood mixed in your lump and see what you like. I'm betting that you'll pick the mix.

Having trouble finding good hardwood to fit in your cooker and that is why you are considering only lump? If there is a cabinet maker in your area, he's got tons of unfinished (and I stress unfinished, just the raw wood) hardwood scraps at his shop. Trade him a box of oak or alder scraps for a rack of ribs. He's just going to burn it anyway, you both win.

I have found a good wood supplier and bought a truck load on Pecan yesterday. I guess my question is will lump give a smoky wood flavor at all?

What was the Question again? :biggrin1:

Attachments

• 48 bags.jpg
    48 bags.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 58
Back