BBQ regions and their wood

I agree that in the Carolinas you will find mostly Pecan and Oak. This is what I have the easiest time purchasing for my backyard cooking.

But many of the restaurants in my area (Upstate) prefer Hickory to just about anything. Unfortunately, not a whole lot of Hickory to be found which makes supply slim and prices high.

Iowa . . . I guess I'll start using corn cobs :p

Seriously, though, I might try that some time

Pin oak from the front yard, pecan and mulberry from the back. Doesn't get much more local than that :thumb: Use a lot of cherry and hickory too, but have to out source those.

Who do you find to supply you the cherry?

Texas
North and northeast- Hickory, Pecan, Oak (several varieties)
Southeast- Pecan, Oak (live, water, red and several others)
Central- Post Oak. Live oak, Pecan, Mesquite (also peach)
West- depends where, trees an be scarce but Mesquite and post oak
There are other mixed in but this would represent the majority

I would agree with this. Texas is not a BBQ Region. Texas is so large it has it's own regions within the state. What we cook with in East Texas, the folks in the RGV wouldn't care much for. I think most people have been drinking the "Franklin's Kool Aid" and think that Central Texas Q is how all Texans do it.

I live in the "burbs" west of St. Louis. The variety of smoking woods here is outstanding. We got;
  • oak (red and white)
  • hickory (numerous varities)
  • Pecan
  • almost every fruit aned berry tree except citrus

My all around favorite is hickory. However, pressure treated landscaping timbers offer a unique flavor profile.

Back