• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pork parting rule vote tonight

Slamdunkpro

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
To the KCBS BoB

Re: the pork parting rule vote at the upcoming BoD meeting.

The pork parting rule has surfaced again and is up for a vote. Regardless of you as a Board member feel about the rule itself, it's wrong to change this rule for the 2013 season which is currently underway.

Cooks have practiced this winter based on our reading of the 2013 rules. To go against KCBS rules and change the rules mid season is a disservice to all the cooks who currently cook within the established rules.

If you want to do away with the pork parting rule, so be it. but it should be for the 2014 season, not the season currently underway.

Glad you clarified this Dave. The motion below, published for this month's meeting seems to indicate otherwise.

Benny

O Motion - Randy Bigler; Seconded by Jeff Stith: In regards to KCBS Rule number 10, under pork, motion is made that the sentence "At no time shall the meat once separated be returned to a cooker" be stricken from the rules effective immediately

The motion that was passed is below.

I move that the definition of PORK be changed as follows:

Pork: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, being one piece, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds (bone in or bone out).

This Rule change will go into effect for the 2014 BBQ season.

Randy withdrew his motion after the BoD passed mine.

Thanks Dave, I'm not clear on this, Does this mean that after inspection, a cook could separate the MM, and cook it separate from the butt?

No, what it's intended to do is to allow the cook to re-heat without penalty.

Hey Dave, still clear as mud for me :-D

So a cook could cook a butt or shoulder to their desired temp, remove from the cooker and then place a part of that butt/shoulder back on the cooker for say glazing ??

Thanks for answering our questions!!

Pork: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, being one piece, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds (bone in or bone out).

No, what it's intended to do is to allow the cook to re-heat without penalty.
Dave,

The new rule only defines the cut of meat and required size. Once it is inspected by the contest organizer representative, the cook can do as he pleases to include butchering and cooking separated muscles for varying lengths of time and method.

What am I missing in the rules that indicate this cannot be done in 2014 as this interpretation falls in line with the other categories?

Mack Yarbrough
Smoke’n Ice

Dave,

The new rule only defines the cut of meat and required size. Once it is inspected by the contest organizer representative, the cook can do as he pleases to include butchering and cooking separated muscles for varying lengths of time and method.

What am I missing in the rules that indicate this cannot be done in 2014 as this interpretation falls in line with the other categories?

Mack Yarbrough
Smoke’n Ice

I have to agree. There is nothing in the rule that says how the meat is to be cooked.

I have to agree. There is nothing in the rule that says how the meat is to be cooked.

Yet everybody will try to analyze it to death?

You have to start with 5 lbs of pork product for your inspection. What happens after that is up to the cook. The pork parting rule has been removed. Cook your pork and move on. :blah:

The original rule never made much sense to me to begin with...you can part brisket but not pork...weird! But...the rule was what the rule was and in order to compete we play by the rules...period! I like the change...it shouldn't make a hoot what the cook does to the meat after it passes inspection...it still has to be cooked to perfection...attached or not! :becky: My 2 cents...

I'm not trying to stir things up, but would it be legal to (after inspection) grind the pork shoulder and turn in a fatty?

Eric

Thank You board for fixing the Pork rule.

I'll do one thing differently in '14, hold a pan of pulled pork in my pit so it is hot going into the turnin box. I really don't care what other teams choose to do, grill away if you wish.

Thank You board for fixing the Pork rule.

I'll do one thing differently in '14, hold a pan of pulled pork in my pit so it is hot going into the turnin box. I really don't care what other teams choose to do, grill away if you wish.

Chris I thimk your misinterpreting the rule. For 2014 you can hold your pulled pork in my pit to keep it warm........alonge with your brisket.

Motoeric- Thank you . You stirred up my taste buds and made my mouth water just to think about a fatty for pork turn in !!

Would really love to hear some opinions about this being legal or not.

Rules experts ?? Let's hear from you.

A sliced fatty would probably be another type of pork in the box along with chunks, pulled etc.

If legal, that is.

Eric

Back