Wood Chips or Wood Chunks?

S

Stiltz6ft9in

Which is better? How should they be prepared?

I usually use wood chips, but they burn so fast. I usually soak them in water for a few hours and then put them in a cast iron box on top of my charcoal. I just keep adding chips throughout the time.

If chosing between the two, it would be chunks. Do not soak them. You may use more chunks when dry, but you will get a better flavor.

Chips or Chunks?

Is it better to have more smoke or less smoke? I thought you soaked them to get more smoke which in turn gave it more flavor.

It is most important to have the right smoke

goodvsevil.jpg

In case you're wondering, the pic on the right is the correct smoke. :p

Still learning...

Man, do I got a lot to learn. I'm glad everyone is patient with my 5000 questions...

So why would I not want to soak the wood?

Do I just put it right on top of the charcoal?

You don't want the wood to smolder - wrong kind of smoke. It needs to burn, so put it in dry.

Soaking will do absolutely nothing for you. Here's a pic I borrowed from the Virtual Weber Bullet site which show a chunk of wood that soaked for 24 hours and was then split open. About 1/8 an inch of absorption.

Also, if using chips, you may want to try wrapping them in a foil pouch with a couple holes poked in it.

split.jpg

I concur.
Since you're using a UDS, I would mix dry fist sized chunks of smoke wood throughtout your charcoal basket. With a typical Minion Method start (search for it if you're not familiar) you will have chunks of wood burning throughout your cook.
On my WSMs (similar in concept o the UDS) I usually use 4 chunks mixed in the charcoal. Works well for me.

All good advice here... I use only dry chunks for smoking. If I am grilling and want some smoke flavor I use chips that I roll up in aluminum foil leaving the ends open.

Wood

Now, where do you guys get your smoking supplies from? Do you use the wood chunks from Home Depot?

Now, where do you guys get your smoking supplies from? Do you use the wood chunks from Home Depot?
I pretty much cut my own.
I have oak on my property, a neighbor has an apple tree, another neighbor has hickory, I got a birch tree from a friend. Cherry I get wherever I can.
If you play nice here, some guys will even ship a box of chunks to you in a swap.

Swap?

I didn't know this group was all about swapping.....:shock:

Just joking.

I appreciate all the help everyone has given me up until this point. I probably will be asking plenty more questions.

Is there anyone other than JeffJenkins01 from around the Cleveland, Ohio area?

Is it better to have more smoke or less smoke? I thought you soaked them to get more smoke which in turn gave it more flavor.

You want whispy light blue smoke. No white.

Edit: and the wood at Home depot is plenty good. I use their Mesquite logs all the time, but they have Hickory too. Both chunk and logs. DO NOT buy the wax coated ones. I don't know what idiot came up with that idea, but someone needs to run over him with a pit! Who wants candles under their food and the waxy taste?:shock:

Back