• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I'm done or Okay schmucks

Hawg Father of Seoul

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Please stop calling the point of a brisket "deckle". If you say brisket deckle, this is correct. Many cuts of beef have a deckle. A nice ribeye deckle makes an excellent carpaccio. A coulotte is also a deckle. Yes, we all love a good deckle, but point is a much more specific term and they are not interchangeable out of context.

Thanks for your attention.

what a deckle! :becky:

Sorry but I have to laugh about this just a little bit. Until today I had never heard this term used in a BBQ context at all. Here in my area, we have one of the largest Jewish populations in the world and whenever I do a demo or in-store I will inevitably have an old jewish woman ask me about the "deckle". FIrst time I heard it it threw me for a loop, I had no idea what they were talking about. Now I'm not only used to it, I have come to expect it. I thought it was just a dated old scholl Jewish term that rarely gets used anymore. Seems I may have been mistaken.
Today however was the first time I had heard it used here on the Brethren in reference to BBQ brisket.

deckle n. a thick band of fat on (a cut of) meat; a very fatty cut of meat. Etymological Note: Mostly likely connected to German dicht ‘thick,’ dick ‘thick’ or ‘fat,’ or Dicke ‘fat person, a fatty.’ The prefix dick- is used to to indicate “fatty,” “big,” “fattening,”or “thick”

Please stop calling the point of a brisket "deckle". If you say brisket deckle, this is correct. Many cuts of beef have a deckle. A nice ribeye deckle makes an excellent carpaccio. A coulotte is also a deckle. Yes, we all love a good deckle, but point is a much more specific term and they are not interchangeable out of context.

Thanks for your attention.

Do you feel better now?

deckle n. a thick band of fat on (a cut of) meat; a very fatty cut of meat. Etymological Note: Mostly likely connected to German dicht ‘thick,’ dick ‘thick’ or ‘fat,’ or Dicke ‘fat person, a fatty.’ The prefix dick- is used to to indicate “fatty,” “big,” “fattening,”or “thick”
I'm going to the donut shop in Fredricksburg VA if you would like me to show you a deckle.:thumb:

Does anyone recommend trimming their deckle?

tumblr_l3juofKuTW1qc9pwoo1_500.png

Back