• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Turkey Breast

T

The Pickled Pig

I'm smokin' a turkey breast this weekend. It'll probably weigh somewhere around 5 lbs. and the pit will be at 225-250. I was thinking it would take somewhere in the 4-5 hour range to complete but it's been so long since I've cooked that chit that I can't remember exactly what to expect. How long should I expect the cook to take?

I like to do my turkey breasts a bit hotter and faster. At 325*F a 5 lb. breast should take I'd say between 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. I go for internal temperature more so than time. I remove and tent in foil at 165*F. Hope this helps.

Yeah... if you're in that 225-250 range, 4-5 hrs would get it to 165.

I'm with RCS though, for just the breast, I'd probably aim for 275-325.

Either way would work... If you want to compromise, start low and finish hot.

Do a search for posts by KCQuer about turkey breasts. It was one of his favorites to cook.

If you have a fresh turkey breast (not one that has been pre-brined), don't forget to brine it to help keep it moist. Here's a killer turkey brine. This is for a whole turkey. The brine time for a 5 lb breast would probably be about half.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] Smokin’ Okie’s Holiday Turkey Brine:

1 gal. water
1 c. coarse kosher salt
¾ c. soy sauce
½ c. white sugar
½ c. brown sugar
½ c. honey
½ c. apple cider vinegar
4 Tbsp. black pepper
3 - 4 Tbsp. chopped garlic
1 tsp. Allspice

[FONT=&quot]Heat water/salt/sugars to rolling boil. Take off burner, add other ingredients. Allow mixture to cool before placing meat into solution. Place 10 - 12 lb. turkey in non-reactive container and cover with brine. Refrigerate for 12 hours.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Rinse well in clean water before proceeding.

This is from the Cookshack forum
[/FONT]

Back