• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Question about Ribs???

D

drewc

I was wondering if anyone has ever bought a box of Swaggerty's Pork Ribs. It was on sale at a local grocer and thought I would just give them a try to see what they looked like and how they would turn out.
Well, after thawing them out and looking at them they are not Baby Backs (or do not resemble such) that is for sure. I had to trim A LOT of fat off some and some even had a small bone running down the side, I had never encountered that before.
I have not been at this a LONG time, but I figured someone had give them a try at some point and time and could give me some insight. I am assuming by the small size they will not take as long as Baby Backs. I have a get together planned for Saturday, and I am going with them regardless. I have already got to boxes of them, with a total of 14 pieces. I figure with enough sides I can make it work and finish the day with a lesson learned.
It also says on the box under PORK RIBS, a product of Canada and United States.
I know this is long...I agologize...I SHOULD HAVE read the box closer and IT WOULD HAVE TOLD ME A LOT!!!!! IT SAID TO BOIL RIBS!!!!! WHAT ARE THESE PEOPLE THINKING!!!!!:crazy::doh:

Did they look kinda like the ribs in these pics below? If so then you've got spare ribs. You'll notice that there are long thick bones on one end and shorter thinner bones on the other end (some more so than others).

There is a joint that runs between the end of the bone and the floppy part that has cartillage in it. If you want a St. Louis spare, you can cut along the edge of the bones down the leangth of the rack, this will give you a bit more uniform looking rack of ribs.
They also cook more evenly when you remove that piece since it is much thicker and has more connective tissue. Season that piece up and cook it the same as you do with the rack then freeze it for those days when you're jonesin' for Q but too lazy to fire up the smoker.
If you've ever had what some places call Ribletts, that's the part where they take them from.

This guy does a pretty good job showing you how to trim them up correctly and remove the membrane - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_MGM_RRTUQ

16D_Pork-Spare-Ribs.jpg

porkspareribspix.gif

I was thinking spare ribs, no doubt. Guess I'll wait for the pics. Damn Canadians and their weird mutant pigs. First the bacon is all farked up, now the ribs too?

LOL!!!! I will get them on here tomorrow.

Swaggerty's comes back as a Tennessee meat packer that specializes in sausages. They seem to sell packs of bulk ribs as well. I look forward to the pics however, as mutant Canadian hogs would be interesting to see.

OK, here is the photo's I keep promising. As you can see from the top photo, they are less than half the size of a baby back!
The second photo shows the FAT on these things!
In the last picture, the one on the far left at the bottom. I have a few like this, BAD SHAPE!
Another note......they are thin.

Franken-swine. Might be from some really young pigs. Personally, I think those are a horrible butchering job, and might be from a young pig. Looks like you have spares there to me, it's just not cut right is all.

They are sad!!!! I was thinking at one time they were just the left overs they cut of the ribs St. Louis to make the BB's. They are not as small as the one, but they are SAD!!!!!!
I am going with them anyway. Two boxes of them......................lesson learned. Just have to make lots of potato salad, coleslaw, and corn bread muffins........LOL! And make a REAL GOOD dessert to help forget about the SAD ribs

Yeah, I agree with Chris - they look like hacked up spares... like spare spare ribs, as in "holy crap, what are we gonna do with these ugly arsed ribs???" "Uhh, just pack em' up and put "product of canada" on the label..." :heh:

Although, the top one still in the cryo pack looks an aweful lot like a small loin back (baby back) rib...

They could have also come off a very large hog and been the leftover rib parts after they cut the BB's and spares out...

Regardless, you should be able to cook them up like regular spares... keep us posted!

Yes, the one in the pack are good ones. I just put that on the side of it for comparison of size, sorry.

Looks like it was raised outside of Hanford or was butchered with a hatchet. Oh well if you are making cornbread muffins I am there.

Looks kinda like those boxes of rib tip or trimming some companies sells

I bought a box of ribs like that once a few years ago. The box said spareribs on it but contained those skinny weird shaped rib things. They were not from Canada but Dutch. Anyhow, I took em back to the store and got my money back. Aint no ribs I know. Good luck. :cool:

DUTCH!????, that would explain a lot:rolleyes::laugh: I will take pics and let you know how it turns out. I finished making the rub and it will go on tomorrow. THEY ARE SAD!!!!! About ashamed to serve them:redface:

DUTCH!????, that would explain a lot:rolleyes::laugh: I will take pics and let you know how it turns out. I finished making the rub and it will go on tomorrow. THEY ARE SAD!!!!! About ashamed to serve them:redface:

Go for it. Who knows? They may be the best thing ever. Keep us posted. :cool:

Back