• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

More Plowboy Chicken

thirdeye said:
No skin, no rib bones and not much fat pretty much demanded grilling. I did them on a small but hot fire for about a half hour. Pulled them off at 155°.

Thanks. I've never been able to grill chicken to my own satisfaction.

SmokeyBear said:

I grill offset and with much patience. It's a lot of fun, but not for anyone in a hurry.

SmokeyBear said:

Chicken is just too good and too cheap not to practice on....Brining the breasts as well as pulling off at the right moment helps on the moisture factor.

Dark meat is easier to grill or barbecue because of the higher fat content. Keeping the skin on adds more fat and traps moisture too if you cook them skin down, shower cap style.

06def4d1.jpg

If you don't like skin (or like me, shouldn't eat it) skinless thighs like these below are way more flavorful because the rub is in contact with more of the meat. Again, you have to be more careful on your finish temps, since the skin is not there to add that extra fat and act as a heat shield. But by not having the skin to eat, I can have an extra piece.
67d07b7e.gif

4c2f176f.jpg

Sledneck said:
Wait i minute..how come i didnt get any of the rub?

You didn't ask. Sled, I promise you a comp of the first production batch!

thirdeye said:
Chicken is just too good and too cheap not to practice on....

I agree. I do a lot of chicken thighs/quarters for that reason.

Todd,
I got my rub a couple days ago....did two halves yesterday and came out great!!
I thought overall it was a very well balanced rub. For some reason it DID NOT go well with my sauce...Alone each tasted great but together...NOT !!! Overall rub was great though. Great on the bird not too salty and just enough heat to let me know it's there.

One question I'd like to get you guys to answer is would you buy it (if you buy commercial rub)? Is it worthy of sharing shelf space with other good commercial rubs?

Plowboy said:
One question I'd like to get you guys to answer is would you buy it (if you buy commercial rub)? Is it worthy of sharing shelf space with other good commercial rubs?

TOdd,
YES I would buy it:biggrin:...that said I probably would only use it on Chicken though. Not that I don't think I'd like it on beef or Pork. I just ussually like a little more sweetness for my pork and, personally I like a little more black pepper and less other stuff for my Briskets. For chicken ,It's jright on time for me:biggrin:!! I just have to figure out what the heck is going on with your rub and my sauce,not so good together !!:mad:

I just got my sample yesterday... I'll be cooking something this weekend, probably a beer can chicken.

tumpedover said:
TOdd,
YES I would buy it:biggrin:...that said I probably would only use it on Chicken though. Not that I don't think I'd like it on beef or Pork. I just ussually like a little more sweetness for my pork and, personally I like a little more black pepper and less other stuff for my Briskets. For chicken ,It's jright on time for me:biggrin:!! I just have to figure out what the heck is going on with your rub and my sauce,not so good together !!:mad:

I agree. I think its a good grilling rub for chicken, fish, and chops. Ribs, Butt, Brisket... not so much. I don't know why that is, but those seem to be the best uses. Others are confirming that for me.

Its a little different than most rubs that are called Chicken Rubs, too. It isn't a real savory rub. Most chicken rubs have savory herbs in them. We don't so much.

Todd,

I finally got a chance to test out the rub and here are my thoughts:

* - I really like the grind on the rub. There were no parts that were really out of line size wise. Having a consistent size helps with distribution of the rub. When I cook quicker items I don't want a chunky rub that won't melt down.

* - I put the rub on 4 chicken thighs, 2 breasts and 3 pork sirloin patties. I agree with others that this is a much better chicken rub than a pork rub, it worked on the pork but I prefer a stronger flavor base with my pork leaning towards sweet. On the chicken the rub was great and totally different than other chicken rubs. There was no single flavor that stood out but produced an excellent savory flavor on both the thigh and the breasts. It also was able to develop a decent crisp crust when I put it over a hot flame. If there was anything I would change would be to tone down the salt in it, I might have just been a bit heavy handed with the application of it but it was a bit salty for my tastes. I find that when I judge chicken I look for more salt in the bites than what I would put on my chicken at home.

Overall it is a great rub and I would buy it again, especially if I was looking for a comp rub.

I think it did very good on smaller pork cuts. I tried it on some thick chops on the grill, and they were great. You can see the evidence HERE!

Leeper said:
Todd,

I finally got a chance to test out the rub and here are my thoughts:

* - I really like the grind on the rub. There were no parts that were really out of line size wise. Having a consistent size helps with distribution of the rub. When I cook quicker items I don't want a chunky rub that won't melt down.

* - I put the rub on 4 chicken thighs, 2 breasts and 3 pork sirloin patties. I agree with others that this is a much better chicken rub than a pork rub, it worked on the pork but I prefer a stronger flavor base with my pork leaning towards sweet. On the chicken the rub was great and totally different than other chicken rubs. There was no single flavor that stood out but produced an excellent savory flavor on both the thigh and the breasts. It also was able to develop a decent crisp crust when I put it over a hot flame. If there was anything I would change would be to tone down the salt in it, I might have just been a bit heavy handed with the application of it but it was a bit salty for my tastes. I find that when I judge chicken I look for more salt in the bites than what I would put on my chicken at home.

Overall it is a great rub and I would buy it again, especially if I was looking for a comp rub.

Good feedback. I and others seem to be agreeing on this. Cool.

Just ordered a case of 16 oz. shakers. Need to get my label designed next. Thinking of calling it Plowboys BBQ Yardbird Rub. For a 16 oz shaker, it seems like $8-$10 seems to be the going rate on most rubs. Once I figure my costs, I'll set the price somewhere in that range.

Plowboy said:
I agree. I think its a good grilling rub for chicken, fish, and chops. Ribs, Butt, Brisket... not so much. I don't know why that is, but those seem to be the best uses. Others are confirming that for me.

Its a little different than most rubs that are called Chicken Rubs, too. It isn't a real savory rub. Most chicken rubs have savory herbs in them. We don't so much.

I know others would disagree on the savory issue ,but I think the type of rub you have there (being less savory) is best for chicken. At least it's is a little different, as you said. I really like the spiciness of it as opposed to the herbs such as thyme or even sage. possibly experiment with adding sugars as well as, peppery spices for you other meats ,ie brisket,butts, etc...Again Great rub.
:wink:

tumpedover said:
I know others would disagree on the savory issue ,but I think the type of rub you have there (being less savory) is best for chicken. At least it's is a little different, as you said. I really like the spiciness of it as opposed to the herbs such as thyme or even sage. possibly experiment with adding sugars as well as, peppery spices for you other meats ,ie brisket,butts, etc...Again Great rub.
:wink:

I actually don't like savory for BBQ chicken. Roasted chicken? Yes.

Todd,

I did some thighs today. Rub is excellent. Just a hint of heat, with a very good taste. Sorry, no pics. Chicken is my weakest entry, but I wouldn't hesitate to turn in these pieces. Some of the best I've made. Let us know when it's available commercially. Thanks again for the sample.

Back