Makin' Bacon (w/ PrOn)

Hey Bone, what temperature did you smoke the bacon at? I'm trying my own bacon as well and I keep tossing around the idea of cold smoking it, not sure what I want to do yet. I'm also just using salt as well. You should send me a piece of your bacon, I'll taste test, haha.

Hey Bone, what temperature did you smoke the bacon at? I'm trying my own bacon as well and I keep tossing around the idea of cold smoking it, not sure what I want to do yet. I'm also just using salt as well. You should send me a piece of your bacon, I'll taste test, haha.
I ran my temp right around 200 or a little below, and it only took about 2.5 hours. Now keep in mind I only smoked half of the 7# belly...... I let the other half cure an extra couple days just to see if there was a taste difference. I brought the IT up to 150, then pulled it off cooled it and vacu-sealed it for a couple days to let the smoke flavor penetrate more deeply. Cold smoking, as I understand it, takes days at a much lower temp and a steady flow of smoke! I don't have time for all that.

I'm assuming that it wasn't cooked through, correct? My first attempt at this I didn't cure nearly long enough, and my temps were way to high, haha, oooops. I cooked it all the way, insanely tender and juicy, but by no means was it bacon. Thanks for the info.

I'm assuming that it wasn't cooked through, correct? My first attempt at this I didn't cure nearly long enough, and my temps were way to high, haha, oooops. I cooked it all the way, insanely tender and juicy, but by no means was it bacon. Thanks for the info.
No it was not cooked during the smoking process.... I had my first taste of the finished product this morning, and I'll probably never use store bought bacon again! Here's a few pics!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 26
Back