First smoke and lots to learn

dinosdeuce

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
The only thing I have never smoked before was in a masterbuilt electric smoker. Today was my first smoke using charcoal and hickory chunks. Results were not so good. Could have been my choice in meat, wrong cut. I don’t know. I have a lot to learn that’s for sure. Will do more reading on here for the next smoke.
Details:
Beautiful day, temp hit 60f with no wind (unusual for here)
2 Pork sirloins 5.4lbs and 6.8lbs
Rubbed with a Memphis style rub
Put water in pan directly on diffuser.
1 16.6lb bag of Kingsford charcoal with hickory chunks buried
Closed down the vents and left them there
Smoked 9 1/2 hrs with average temp of 225F charcoal started dying at the 9 hr mark
Temperature probe in the bigger sirloin and it never got above 158F
Hit 151F at the 6 hour mark
Charcoal started dying at the 9 hour mark.
Meat was tough and dry.

Pics: Rubbed, end of cook, resting on counter, dry meat

Attachments

• Sirloin Roast 5.4lbs rubbed.jpg
    Sirloin Roast 5.4lbs rubbed.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 219
  • Sirloin Roast 6.8lb rubbed.jpg
    Sirloin Roast 6.8lb rubbed.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 216
  • out of smoker.jpg
    out of smoker.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 217
  • before cuting.jpg
    before cuting.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 216
  • Dry.jpg
    Dry.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 216
Not familiar with that cut, but you should have been well above that meat temp after 9 hours at 225F.

I'm not sure on that cut but Pork Shoulder Butts and Picnic go 190-200* ish IT till probe tender or bone wiggles easy - Brisket till Probe tender in 190-210* IT range

try a. Butt or Picnic and run smoker 250-275* -should 8-10 hr cook-- make ur Basket where you can add Charcoal or Chunks during cook.

I cut my basket so I can add when needed......
null_zpsc1e44529.jpg

null_zpsfa346e09.jpg

So they are saying it was overcooked - need to treat it like a pork loin. I'd of done same ad you Dino........:twitch: new or unfamiliar cuts are tricky......:wink: You can always ask for tips before a cook :heh: ..... Don't worry about it - I've jacked up plenty of Meat myself .

Yep, treat them like a pork loin. They are very lean, and do great cooked to 140, then rested for 30 min before slicing and serving. I have a 3 lb pork sirloin in the fridge for tomorrow's dinner.

Glad I read this thread... I wasn't sure what a pork sirloin was either but I'll have to check it out now.

I smoked mine at 220 to 225 for about 3 hours. Wrap them in foil at 140 and sit in pan for an hour on the counter top. Always tender and juicy.

looks good other than a little dry, hey you tried, it did not work out as planned, you know for next time to try something else, lord knows I have choked down my fair share of sub par cooks just because I hate to waste, the dog it usually happy when I screw something up though. get another cut and try again, it is a slow learning process.

Thanks

All,

Thanks for the inputs. I figure the learning curve to be a little steep at first. It is great to have this forum. You all offer a lot of help to people and it is nice to be a part of this slippery slope.

@ SmittyJonz, It is funny you posted your mod. I was thinking last night how I could add charcoal and there you are giving me more advice. Gotta love it.

Thanks again

Thanks to all our veterans :clap2: Earlier, I toasted past, present and future.

Dino
USAF retired
1980 - 2004
Enlisted of course :cool:

Last edited:
first smoke

halve been smokeing meat since early 80`s and still halve bad results on ocation keep worken at it and in no time you will halve the best of bbq

:thumb: yup get a Pork Butt or a Picnic and try again at 250-275* for 7-9 hrs ( until bone wiggles or probes tender all over ) plus a short rest.......they are the easiest :biggrin1:

I like this Rub for Pork: ( of course there are plenty of Good Rubs but many are mail order and this one can be had at Walmart, Krogers, HEB etc .)

null_zps948f7a17.jpg

And I expect you will post this next time: (I pull mine just a wee bit early cuz I prefer chopped vs pulled)

null_zpsa7768ec0.jpg

Back