• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I invented a rain machine - first tri tip, finally

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
First off, thanks for all who helped me through this, especially MartyLeach (the build idea & cooking technique) and Landarc (rub & cooking technique). Lots of other good advice too, could not have done it without all the help.
Also, here are a couple threads leading up to today.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161506
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161265
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161033
Fired up at 4:00 pm, again.
002_zps99fc333e.jpg

Tri tip seasoned with landarc's rub (as close as I could get with what I had on-hand) on at about 6:00. Great 6 inch coal bed, minimum flame, grill grate at the height equivalent to a 10 second "hand tolerance". Ten minutes in, turned the tips, then the bottom fell out, again!
001_zps3bef2a0c.jpg

Fark, but there ain't no turning back now. Indirect to about 110* IT, took a little longer and had to keep lowering the grate, but that was expected. Then slammed them down on the remaining HOT coals until a 130* IT
004_zpsb94a142f.jpg

Tented in foil for 25 minutes then took a look, here's what we got (with adult beverage).
006_zps22e01250.jpg

008_zps5c0e87af.jpg

009_zps87aea33f.jpg

It did not suck (ketchup for the sweet potato fries, horseradish & sour cream sauce for the beef - not needed)!
010_zps1074130a.jpg

Very tender and tasty (landarc, the rub has a little kick to it - GOOD). We like our beef a little more rare, so I'll adjust the next time.
Thanks everyone for the help and patience.

Wow, a rain machine, here I thought you had a pretty fine little cooker there, but, a rain machine! Will you remember us when you're rich?

Nice cooking, tri-tip is tasty, looks good from here. And I love horseradish cream sauce on beef period.

That looks like some mighty fine tri tip there!
I like your cooker, but I think if it had OU cut out of the sides it'd look a lot better!

Meat looks pretty close to medium rare. In my book medium rare is perfect.
John

That is looking really good. Congrats on the cook. Glad it worked out for you.
I am a big fan of horseradish. I grow my own roots in a big pot. I'm afraid to put them in the ground because they spread like weeds under the surface.
That said, I don't use horseradish on tri-tip as I just love the flavor of the meat.

Thanks, and I agree the horseradish sauce was not needed. My wife thought it would be a good idea, we both tried some and decided we just liked the au jus better.
That is looking really good. Congrats on the cook. Glad it worked out for you.
I am a big fan of horseradish. I grow my own roots in a big pot. I'm afraid to put them in the ground because they spread like weeds under the surface.
That said, I don't use horseradish on tri-tip as I just love the flavor of the meat.

I had to laugh at the title, "I invented a rain machine". That was classic, isn't it always that way? You have a new toy and the weather won't cooperate. Been there many a time. I'm glad it all came together for you. Great looking set up and the tri-tips came out great.

I think those gator's are what is causing all your problem's.
Yea, maybe looking for the Swamp!
I had to laugh at the title, "I invented a rain machine". That was classic, isn't it always that way? You have a new toy and the weather won't cooperate. Been there many a time. I'm glad it all came together for you. Great looking set up and the tri-tips came out great.
You know our Florida summer pattern, clear then 4:00-6:00 deluge.

That gator looks like a dragon breathing fire in that first pic. Very cool rig there!

I like the umbrella idea, put it up when you need it and not in the way when you don't.

At least you don't have the lonely chair out there anymore!

great looking cook! I am definitely jealous.

Back