Spares-A Question

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
What’s the longest you’ve allowed the rub to sit on a rack of ribs before you cook. I picked up a rack on sale $1.47# mainly because I like the brisket tips breaks and regulars(irregulars) that you get with a full rack. I wipe it off well, removed membrane and hit it with a rub. Wrap tightly and back into fridge. I’ve seen preseasoned ribs at grocery stores that have to be days old and already rubbed. May cook them tomorrow, may not. Possibly storms Possibly not. They’re ready when the fire is ready

Last edited:
Longest I’ve ever gone is overnight with a light coat, followed by another coat an hour or so before hitting the fire.

I have done them overnight before. Some suggest that taste hammy because of the salt I enjoy them however they are seasoned or cooked.
I have read on here before there was some threads on that.

Usually, I put the rub on an hour or two before the cook. Just the way I have always done it. Always felt the rub should complement the meat. I have seen the pre-rubbed racks and concerned that the rub will take away / over power the meats taste.

This is a huge rack of spares for me. I prefer 3 1/2 and down. This is like 6#. Bone in pork belly-esque huge. Removed membrane zero trimming. Just wiped well for bandsaw shards seasoned wrapped tight and back into fridge. Instead of playing with new cookers I’ve been trying new ways to cook. I’ve been adding a little bourbon (one airline size bottle) Of Apple JD. I meant to buy a miniature of Crown Peach for these, but got distracted by a big bottle of Bradshaw Bourbon and didn’t want to start over at the back of the line. Made some room in freezer gifting some cooked spares and pork to the closest thing I can call a Smoke mentor, outside The Brethren’s advice. These may end up Bean meat. That’s cool.

I am in the same opinion with TC Smoke & Que here.
To add what he said above I also do not like when a rub is on a rib to long and the rib starts to develop a hammy flavor.
Most of the time its a subtle hammy flavor and usually on a after taste end kinda. But I prefer also to have the seasoning complement to rib as well.

So I will usually let it rest around and hour or so just until all the rub tacks on and all the spices have rehydrated and adhered to the meat. longest would be 4 hours for large catering jobs.

Back