My 1st smoke ever progress - Picnic shoulder

It's resting in it's juices right now, should I take it out of the juice to rest?

My opinion is: Your personal preference on this one. I don't worry about it. I just open the foil, check the bone to see if she'll come out cleanly, and run with it. That's just me.

Some of us really like to save the juices from the pan to de-fat and possibly add back if the finished pork could use a little more moisture... sometimes, I just add it all back.

Either way, I'm sure there are other great uses if you don't use that juice immediately (soups, stews, stocks, whatnot).

It's resting in it's juices right now, should I take it out of the juice to rest?

Grab the bone with pliers and if it pulls out, its done, let it sit in the juices for a good 15-30 min. Then take that skin and pull it off, and toss it in a deep fryer, or a pot with some oil in it and make some awesome cracklins!

That looks awesome!

Nice work.

Keep cooking and applying what you learned, and you'll be a master in no timeđź‘Ť.

Congrats on the new WSM and your 1st smoke cook under your belt.
Looks wonderful.
Now go tell your wife your sorry. Because IF your anything like the rest of us around here your hooked and fixing to buy new grills, bigger smoker, digital thermometers, fancy injectors, cookbooks, a panty FULL of spices, rubs and sauces and so on....

I cut all of the skin off, I find no joy in pig skin that keeps my rubs ect from reaching the meat, ymmv

I cut all of the skin off, I find no joy in pig skin that keeps my rubs ect from reaching the meat, ymmv

This is my plan the next time.

There was so much fat that got rendered .... And there wasn't much flavor because of the skin and fat kept the rub from making it to the meat. Still ended up good once I added some seasons back when I pulled.

I'm tempted to go buy another shoulder and try again this weekend.

Practice makes it better, its hard to make bad pulled pork, sometimes the stars aline for great pp, I would rather have over cooked pp as under cooked, tender is fine by me.

This is my plan the next time.

There was so much fat that got rendered .... And there wasn't much flavor because of the skin and fat kept the rub from making it to the meat. Still ended up good once I added some seasons back when I pulled.

I'm tempted to go buy another shoulder and try again this weekend.

Once you pull your pork into the pan , take same rub shack lightly over the pulled pork , really wakes up the flavor !

Looks like you nailed it! I will second (or third or whatever) the idea of seasoning to taste after you pull/chop. The rub cannot really penetrate the meat that far, but it usually makes for a tasty bark.

Big fan of both Lexington and Eastern NC sauces. For me, the pinnacle of pulled pork.

Now you can smoke lots of other stuff!

Like mac and cheese, potatoes, veggies, tri-tip, ribs...

One of my very favorite smokes - and it's a short smoke - is rack of lamb. Fantastic.

DAE, Congratulations on your first smoke!! It really looks awesome. :thumb::thumb:
I know that now your adventure in to the Art of The Q is off to a great start and I am looking forward to those future cooks.
These guys are great for information and helping, and watch it, they will help you spend your money.:laugh:

Wow been a while since I saw such a nice clean/new WSM. Looks like the cook went well. I also do the bone test. Let rest in cambro/cooler for at least 1 hour in pan with juices. Add back drippings and rub once pulled. Now that you got your first one down have fun chasing your flavor profile :p

Pork

Hi Good job on your 1st smoke..Next time you might try pork Butt, less fat on top.The butt is done when the bone comes out clean.
DanB

Back