Contest Announcment Windy City BBQ Classic - Chicago, IL August 31st/September 1st, 2013

Bill and perry - I said specially there aren't as many different "types/weights" of brisket and butts as ribs. I agree on the quality (of meat) comments, but I've had poorly cooked wagyu brisket and excellent regular select beef brisket that was cooked properly. I appreciate constructive comments, but please don't insult our contest by calling BBQ purity "off putting" or other non constructive comments.. Many will attend and compete and I hope those that have interest will have a great time again this year.

Sent from my iPh

Rub, not meant to be insulting, but rather to give you an honest reason why I didn't compete last year and don't intend to this year. As an organizer that is info I'd like to know if I were trying to maximize the interest and participation in an event, especially when "BBQ purity" is the major message in your branding, and like I said, we don't even use electric when we compete . . .

Bill and perry - I said specially there aren't as many different "types/weights" of brisket and butts as ribs. I agree on the quality (of meat) comments, but I've had poorly cooked wagyu brisket and excellent regular select beef brisket that was cooked properly. I appreciate constructive comments, but please don't insult our contest by calling BBQ purity "off putting" or other non constructive comments.. Many will attend and compete and I hope those that have interest will have a great time again this year.

Sent from my iPh

And I appreciate that, but keep it constructive- i find BBQ purity to be important. If you don't, I respect that. You can use electric for anything other than cooking.

Sent from my iPh

Sent from my iPh

Jared - No one is "insulting" your contest. Just disagreeing on the whole meat thing and I never even mentioned types like waygu etc....someone else did.
I was just disagreeing with your statement on no differences in butts/briskets and I wasnt referring to choice vs waygu etc...Bottom line there is a huge spread within the same grade of meat so I personally would rather choose my own vs getting the luck of the draw out of what someone hands me from a case.
In any event it didnt stop me from cooking your contest last year nor am I trying to dissuade anyone from cooking it this year. Sorry you consider my statements non constructive. Its still part of the discussion

...and we are allowing everyone to choose their own butts/brisket - just not ribs because I don't want backs/spares/st Louis 2 1/4 vs 1 1/2.. Chicken is provided as a value. Brisket and butts are brought in by each team.

Sent from my iPh

As long as we can bring our trailer we're in! screw the rest of the details! This is a local comp, great location. I'm printing my app and will send the check tomorrow. too bad you don't have an online option!
2SkinnyCooks will be there as a team this year instead of a visitor....hell, last year, I had to keep sitting down cause the chemo beat my azz

Only thing keeping me off was the original statement about space

Good job on the prize fund, Jared.

I will say, the ribs we had last year were very worthy. Wichita had some good rib out there.

We cooked this comp last year and it was first class. Of course, we had a great outcome, but would say the same even if we finished dal. The products we were given were top notch! I suggest this year if someone gets a "box full of shiners" so to speak, see if you can return them for a different batch.

Either way, we are driving back to Chicago this year, and definitely would suggest to the brethren out there considering a "cave man comp" to jump on this one!

The best part was making friends with a lot of people in the Chicago area we wouldn't have otherwise gotten to know.

Thanks for the support guys, it's good to hear some folks from last year that enjoyed themselves.

I do appreciate all of the feedback, and I've committed to adding those additional payouts to 2nd-5th place.

Producing an event like this is tough - just like running a business. You're never gonna please everyone - and something is always ripe to critique to each person's personal preference.

To hear from attendees last year that they enjoyed themselves is encouraging, and I hope they enjoy the improvements and come out again.

To those considering this year -

let me clarify a couple things that may have been misunderstood for this year's comp:

Ribs and Chicken are provided (Wichita Packing and Kingdom Farms respectively). This is done to ensure everyone is cooking a similar product. Cooking ribs and Chicken is mandatory to participate.

Brisket and Shoulder turn-in boxes are optional. That being said, if you are entering these categories - you will be providing your own meat for them.

Electricity is allowed, just not for cooking. We're looking for guys to really run their pits the old fashioned way, managing their fires manually.

It's gonna be a great time, it's on the lakefront, downtown - we're bringing in some of the best blues/rock performers from around the country including Claudette King (BB king's daughter) and other nationally recognized musicians.

Good music, good people, good beer, good food...good times celebrating this old fashioned, authentic style of cooking - BBQ!

We look forward to another great year.

...and cmor74-the reason we provide ribs and chicken is that there is a large range of differences when buying ribs-spares vs back...St. Louis vs full spare, then all the weight differences - every 1/4 lb weight class. Providing the same product to all (and I'll politely disagree with you about any inconsistencies in the ribs from the top pork packer in the country- Wichita packing company) makes the playing field more even. Providing chicken is an added value to your entry, and again, we provide some of the best chicken available commercially from Kingdom Farms. Brisket and shoulder aren't provided because not everyone will submit these categories and there isn't as large of a range of difference when buying brisket and shoulder (types not quality). Hope this makes sense.

Sent from my iPh

I'm not upset with the contest, or you, but please don't make assumptions. You can politely disagree all you wish, but when you phyisically see the shiners, I don't need someone's assumption from past experiences with Wichita Packing to tell me it was a figment of my imagination. I personally had no complaints with the ribs and chicken supplied to Head's Red BBQ. Hell we took 1st in Chicken and 3rd in ribs. I'm just saying what if I was that guy that got those shiners, would you let me take someone elses? As I said before, I personally was not disappointed in the meat supplied and I'm not trying to complain, just trying to comprehend and state my concerns of a "what if" that did happen last year. I would be out $1,000 for Ribs and guaranteed out the GC as well as the $500 I would have invested. Either way, as Southern Krunk BBQ, we were treated very well. I met some people that I still keep in contact with...including those the Southern Krunk Boys. I appreciate that you would take feedback and adjust. Making the prize pool more appealing for competitors is greatly appreciated. I do apprecaite the hard work that is put into this competition.

I suggest this year if someone gets a "box full of shiners" so to speak, see if you can return them for a different batch.

yes, we'll exchange ribs if you don't like them...on that note, we give you 5 slabs of ribs - and you turn in 6 bones.

AND - new space size...25 ft. x 25 ft. spaces for everyone !!

Way to step up

Rub, way to step up on the money, space, electric, and water. I know you didn't have to do this but it shows your commitment to getting the best teams in the event. As I stated earlier it was a great event along the lake front last year and I'm sure it will be even better this year. I'm sure this will be sold out by the weekend if not sooner based on your changes.

As for meat last year, the team I cooked with had very good quality meat provided by you, no shiners or smelly chicken.

After all that has been cleared up on here and with the additional payouts added we are going to cook this one. Now all I have to do is learn how to cook without my Yoder:noidea:

I didn't mention that?? Free massages from my partner Gary Wiviott :)

Sent from my iPh

I was VERY fortunate to be able to judge this last year! Jared and Gary are new at this but they bust their arses to put on a great show!

Hope I get an invite to judge again this year! :wink:

Back