• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Firin' up the Fox 2013

Thank you all who participated in our 2012 Firin' Up the Fox Event.

We are busy working to ensure that we can hold our second annual event in 2013.

Saving you from all of the politics, the organization that was running St. Charles Riverfest (Pride of the Fox), and was going to run the 2013 event, has dissolved and we are actively looking to partner with another organization to support our event as a stand alone contest.

Those discussions are underway and once finalized, we'll get sanctioning and formally begin accepting applications. We are now targeting the weekend of July 5-7, 2013 and as part of the discussions, I would love to be able to show the organizations that we are talking with how much interest there is in our contest.

Please take a moment to fill out our survey, if you think you might compete in our contest on July 5-7, 2013 in either the KCBS, Amateur, or Kids Q competition. I can use these results to show these organizations how successful we can be.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/78BGNST

Thanks

Kevin - Firin' Up the Fox
id definately be interested if it does go standalone

I emailed Laura about contest info this week. They still have to get permission for the festival first before the contest details will be known. The festival approval will be presented to the city board in a couple weeks. I doubt they would move the festival date to accommodate the contest imo. It would be a shame to lose this one so close to home. And a bitter pill for you Ron L since this is your backyard and you missed out on this last year too.

That would suck, but it's more of a bitter pill for the contest since several local teams are already committed to the Sam's event. It will mean fewer entries.

But, Kevin's post seems to indicate that they are looking at running the competition separate from the festival. If that's still the case then changing the competition dates wouldn't affect the festival at all.

Firin' Up the Fox will be the 5th and 6th of July for KCBS

Riverfest overall is downsizing a bit after a large growth for the 30th Birthday Bash last year. The BBQ contest was almost too big for the festival, and we believe we can turn it into a prime stand alone event.

It was incredibly difficult to find a contest date that didn't have some level of competition from somewhere.

KCBS and several others coached us to consider this weekend, and so we did.

We're finalizing a few things in regards to entry forms, prices and prize money. Our plan is to give a pretty big bump to the prize money this year - details will be published well in advance. We want to compete at the same level as Westmont, Morton, and others. We should have all the details published in two weeks.

Information will be updated at www.firinupthefox.com first, and eventually make it's way to facebook at http://www.facebook.com/FirinUpTheFox

Our plan is to have this contest the first full weekend after the 4th of July going forward.

If you have any questions - I can be reached at info@firinupthefox.com

Kevin

Had a great time at the first contest. Unfortunately we can't cook that weekend either. Maybe next year.....

Riverfest overall is downsizing a bit after a large growth for the 30th Birthday Bash last year. The BBQ contest was almost too big for the festival, and we believe we can turn it into a prime stand alone event.

It was incredibly difficult to find a contest date that didn't have some level of competition from somewhere.

KCBS and several others coached us to consider this weekend, and so we did.

We're finalizing a few things in regards to entry forms, prices and prize money. Our plan is to give a pretty big bump to the prize money this year - details will be published well in advance. We want to compete at the same level as Westmont, Morton, and others. We should have all the details published in two weeks.

Information will be updated at www.firinupthefox.com first, and eventually make it's way to facebook at http://www.facebook.com/FirinUpTheFox

Our plan is to have this contest the first full weekend after the 4th of July going forward.

If you have any questions - I can be reached at info@firinupthefox.com

Kevin

Good luck with the competition! Hopefully we'll be able to make it next year!

Hey Kevin,

Although our team did terrible, we had a great time. I thought you all did a real fine job and if it were a different date, we would compete again in a second.

I do think part of the appeal was its location and ties to the festival. Have you thought about where you plan on hosting the new contest? This could very well impact public attendance, which may in turn impact your sponsorships, vendor booth sales and the kinds of income generating revenues that will help raise much needed cash - which you will need if it is to be a stand alone contest.

Not saying you are, but you should not rely solely on application fees to run it. Be careful with overhead - like insurance, security, waste management, outhouses, wash stations, electric, permitting fees, etc. These things are gonna cut into your income and unless you have an alternative source to application fees, it could make or break it.

As a stand alone contest - we've run a pretty successful event. We started as a small block party and have grown steady both qualitatively and quantitatively each year. Location is a major component to our success. Also having a dedicated, reliable committee is key. Slow and steady wins the race here.

I am more than willing to talk with you and help. Just let me know via PM.

Tom

Last edited:
Registration is now open

Thank you all for your feedback. We plan to continue to keep this a stand alone event, and appreciate all the insights. We also plan to publish dates sooner, so you can plan accordingly, and we'd love to have you. We've increased our prize pool significantly and it is posted on our website. http://www.firinupthefox.com.

The KCBS contest will be the weekend of July 5 & 6. The amateur contest will be July 7.

KCBS registration is open. You can save $50 by registering by March 2, 2013 and using the coupon code brethren2013.

http://firinupthefox-kcbs.eventbrite.com.

You can pay online or by check. If you want to pay by check, select other payment options, instead of Register when starting to register.

Thank you all for your feedback. We plan to continue to keep this a stand alone event, and appreciate all the insights. We also plan to publish dates sooner, so you can plan accordingly, and we'd love to have you. We've increased our prize pool significantly and it is posted on our website. http://www.firinupthefox.com.

The KCBS contest will be the weekend of July 5 & 6. The amateur contest will be July 7.

KCBS registration is open. You can save $50 by registering by March 2, 2013 and using the coupon code brethren2013.

http://firinupthefox-kcbs.eventbrite.com.

You can pay online or by check. If you want to pay by check, select other payment options, instead of Register when starting to register.

Wondering if you could tell me about this $16.12 fee for signing up. I have never seen anything of the sorts. According to this Eventbrite, even if I send in a check, there's still a fee. Can you go into detail about this please.

We're in, but I had a question also (besides Dan's above) What are you planning for water availability? Same as last year?

I would rather not travel with a full (90 gallon) water tank if we can avoid it. will it be possible to fill up there? I know last year it was a bit limited

Last edited:
Is there a Brethren discount for the amateur contest? Sorry - I don't want to come across as cheap, but I noticed there was for the KCBS contest. My momma always said that it doesn't hurt to ask!

Last edited:
We will have water, but you may need to fill and carry. Details are still being determined.

Amateur discount code is brethren2013 - it is good until March 31, 2013

The fee is for the eventbrite registration service. If you send a check the fee is smaller.

Last edited:
Is there a registration form for mailing?

Thanks!

We've chosen to use eventbrite as it provide a number of features:
- It consolidates all registration in one place
- Eliminates needing someone to rekey all the entry information
- Allows online payment
- simplifies communications leading up to the event
- Provides event management features during the event
- Provides analytics after the event

This does mean that we incur a service fee for eventbrite and a small credit card charge if you choose to pay by credit card.

If you select other payment methods and pay by check - you can mail me the check with your completed form. - There is no separate mail-in form.

If you have any questions - please let me know - info@firinupthefox.com

I'm all signed up for the amateur contest! Even though this is 6 months away, I am nervous!

Possible Date Change

All - we've heard lots of feedback about our conflict with the Sams Club contest in WI, the same weekend.

I have until tomorrow to let KCBS know if we want to change the date - which we are considering as August 16, 17, 18. Would that date work better for everyone?

The following are tentatively on the same weekend.

• Montana State BBQ Championships at Montana Fair*Billings, MT
  • Conifer Mountain BBQ Challenge*Conifer, CO
  • 9th Annual Pepsi Wyoming State BBQ & Bluegrass Festival*Worland, WY
  • 21st Annual State Barbeque Championship of Nebraska*LaPlatte, NE
  • Classic City BBQ Fest & Tailgate Show*Athens, GA
  • Hudson Valley Ribfest*New Paltz, NY
  • Stand By Your Grill*Fulton, MS
  • Sam's Club National BBQ Tour*Laurel, MD
    [*]Smokefest*Marshall, MN
    [*]Madison Ribberfest: Barbeque & Blues*Madison, IN
  • BBQ and Fly In on the River*Excelsior Springs, MO
  • Winnipeg Barbeque And Blues Festival*Winnipeg, Manitoba, CA

Well, having already paid for it and scheduling time for 7/5, I don't want to cause a problem. But I'd rather not have back to backs with this and kenosha, or have to go back and reschedule vacation time. And if o can't reschedule, we'd need to back out, and expect a refund.

Just out of curiosity, how many folks, other than the 2 or 3 on this thread, have said they can't do this one because of a conflict with Sam's?

Have there been that many folks from last years event that wont come due to the Sam's event? I'm sure there are some, but enough to reschedule?

I want your event to be a success, because the more we have close to home the better. But you asked, so there's MHO

Last edited:
Back