KCBS Says Cheating Better Than Offending TOTY

Holy cow. Come on dmprantz. You can't start a post and then you don't want to be judged. What your team did was wrong. Don't stir the pot if you don't want to get burnt. You always have a way of putting stuff out there and trying to sound like the innocent victim.

Exactly.........to heap scorn on anyone who disagrees and the entire KCBS and expect everyone else not to say anything about you is not "respectfully" trying not to rehash old gripes.......it's wanting to tell a one sided story.

Sorry, but if you want to continue to dish it out you should be mature enough to take some heat yourself.........not wish ill on other teams when they compete, insinuate low intelligence or imply you are armed with weapons and close combat training should anyone approach you at a contest.

Everyone has agreed the KCBS guy got off easy........not everyone agrees with you that you got a raw deal. That's life.

I believe comparing the punishments requires comparing the acts. The "dishonesty" is somewhat unclear from my view but I'm a long way away.

Exactly. There's a big difference between a "cheater" and someone who made a boneheaded mistake. Not saying which label applies to the Rep (I have no idea), but to borrow DMP's NFL analogy, if the NFL fired a ref every time a boneheaded call was made, the ref corps would be very small.

DMP -- one question on your reinstatement request. I got the impression from your interview on Rempe's show that one of the reasons it was denied was because you no longer maintain a KCBS membership. Is my understanding correct? It's been a while since I listened to the interview so I acknowledge I could be imagining things.

one question on your reinstatement request. I got the impression from your interview on Rempe's show that one of the reasons it was denied was because you no longer maintain a KCBS membership. Is my understanding correct? It's been a while since I listened to the interview so I acknowledge I could be imagining things.

I have never requested to be reinstated. A member of the board voluntarily, without speaking to me, made a motion to reduce my ban to a year, and encountered multiuple obsticles. We did eventually speak a few times, but he never kept the motion around long enough for a vote. The reason why it was never voted according to him and another member of the board is that they wanted me to pay the KCBS $35 and become a member. Proof to me that it really is all about the money. Another member of the board, again without me requesting it, brought another motion up to reduce my ban to a year, and he made sure there was a vote. Eight members of the current board voted to keep my ban at three years. Six of those eight voted to reinstate this rep.

dmp

This was a very good and thoughtful comment on the topic, and I'd like to take the time to respond to each point. I apologize in advance to any one with ADD or any other form of short attention span for the length of this post, but I think that the discussion may be good.

veiled threats about available weaponry and pugilistic abilities

My point above was not that I am an expert fighter who will hurt people. We could have each been Army Rangers with a better draw than Raylan Givens and a platoon at our back, or we could have been two out of shape nerds with no friends and nothing more dangerous than butter knife at our disposal. What I was trying to get across was that making retroactive threats that you would have definitely beaten me up with all of your friends is both juvenile and presumptive at best. Most of you don't really know who either of us is, and to say that you would have broken the law as a result of some one's actions is ascinine. You weren't there, and the violent person who was there didn't do anything, so quit the threats.

Also, I don't see where in the notes it states that the rep falsified the score cards. I do see where it states "[two tables were short judges, and cards were falsified in the two categories. The rep who called into the meeting could not explain how this happened ] . Based on what I see presented the cards could very well have been falsified by someone else and the rep failed to catch it and/or correct it accordingly to the established criteria.

Sounds very similar to your situation Dan, in that as the contest rep or team head cook, you both were the ones ultimately held accountable for not only your own actions but for others as well.

These are fair points, but does it matter? Even if the reps didn't cheat and I didn't wear the apron, we were all guilty by association. Does it make sense for guilt of cheating by association to carry a lesser punishment than guilt of innappropriate clothing by association? Don't forget that this board could have voted to change my punishment to one year, and they chose not to. They could have chosen to punish this rep for longer than one year, and they chose not to. If you think that makes sense and is okay, then that's your position and the end of it.

It also begs the question of how good is an organization where this is even possible? If the reps didn't cheat, who did? How did this happen, and what's to prevent it from happening again? What, if anything, was done to find the people responsible? Was anything done to keep this from happening again? Do you even care?

Furthermore the reps involved were not banned, they were terminated

Moot point. They were fired as reps but are still allowed to attend competitions. I was banned from competing, but I'm allowed to attend KCBS competitions. Semantics. Either of us may be allowed to judge, but I'd question whether any organizer would want that.

I know your ban was 3 years, will you be automatically reinstated at that point or do you have to formally reapply?

I don't have to reapply for anything at the end of the three years. I go immediately to probation, should I choose to compete.

I think that having score cards falsified on your watch would be a bigger issue that someone wearing inappropriate clothing on your watch.
...I can see where a rep that has a record of serving an orginization would draw less of a sentence than a team captain with a history if being quick to criticize an organization....

And here's the crux of it. You can see it. I can see it. It's apparently what happened. Is that right? Are you okay with it? Is any one okay with it? Does some one being chummy with the BOD allow for association with cheating to be punished lighter than association with a penis apron? I mean, it's a simple question in the end: "Are you okay competing under a sanctioning body that allows friendship or some other factor to bring those associated with cheating back into the fold sooner than those associated with annappropriate clonthing?" If you're fine with it, then you can say so, and I won't attack you for it. If not, then I'd agree with you, but everything else in this thread is subterfuge from that central issue.

you can't really think that continuing to bash the organization and its leadership as a whole...is going to improve your odds of being reinstated early.

I think you have a serious misunderstanding about me and my intent. I have never asked to be reinstated early. Let's be clear on that. When a board member voluntarily offerred to move to reduce my ban to one year, I was happy, but when other board members, and eventually even that person, chose to waylay that motion and then ask me for a payoff to get it heard, I got angry. When some one else voluntarily made a similar motion, it was voted down. The only reason this thread even exists is because I came to The Brethren to sell my competition rig and I decided to check out the forum while I was signed in, leading me to find this mess. Read my sig if you're interested in the pit. I'm not here to try to convince people to let me compete. I'm here to tell you the truth that the folks running the KCBS treat people differently based on their BBQ pedigree and revenue production.

I don't deny that I've been a critic of the KCBS when I felt it was warranted, but should critics be punished for not towing the company line and being lemmings? Most of my critiques have been that KCBS is concerned with little more than money. My experiences since being banned only confirm that. I'm not asking any one if it "makes sense" to them, I'm asking if you think it's right...and if you do, you all deserve each other!

dmp

So do you want to compete in KCBS again?? Guessing not if you are selling your contest rig.

If not what's the point???......to try to get other people to hate the KCBS like you do???

This thread is just one HUGE pile of sour grapes........we're supposed to believe you are taking some high moral ground and they are money grubbing devils all over a $35 fee??? LOL

KCBS is a business.......they SHOULD do everything they can to make money and grow.

I understand you are angry with them and if you want to take your ball and go home that's cool............why try to drag everyone else into it though??

Best of luck whatever you decide.

So do you want to compete in KCBS again?? Guessing not if you are selling your contest rig.

If not what's the point???......to try to get other people to hate the KCBS like you do???

This thread is just one HUGE pile of sour grapes........we're supposed to believe you are taking some high moral ground and they are money grubbing devils all over a $35 fee??? LOL

KCBS is a business.......they SHOULD do everything they can to make money and grow.

I understand you are angry with them and if you want to take your ball and go home that's cool............why try to drag everyone else into it though??

Best of luck whatever you decide.

The point is very simple, he's saying that CHEATING is far worse than BAD JUDGEMENT. Given that fact, the question is why does the punishment for BAD JUDGEMENT out weigh the punishment for CHEATING. Both punishments were handed down by the KCBS. There is no consistency. That was made very clearly in the onset of this thread.

Like I said, the point is very simple and if you would stop trying to take cheap shots, actually read what is being said and NOT twist the facts to suit yourself, then you would understand. I'm not sure if you can't understand because you don't want to or the the lack of oxygen way up there on your soap box is fogging your ability to think clearly. Either way it's obvious that your sole purpose is to take cheap shot. Now if you'll excuse me, I got a fatty to smoke.

Why are these two events being connected? They have nothing to do with each other at all

On one hand is the debate of whether a 3 year ban is appropriate punishment for having a team member wear an inappropriate apron

On the other hand is the debate of whether the punishment for the rep was the correct punishment

But to try to link the 2 is foolish. Your punishment has to stand on its own. To illustrate it lets say 2 guys in 2 separate cars go out driving drunk and they both hit pedestrians and kill them. One guy hires a good lawyer and gets a kind judge and receives a 10 year sentence, the other guy gets a mean judge and gets 20 years. Is the 20 year sentencing unfair? No, its within the realms of the law as a fair punishment, just because someone else got off easier does not change the validity or fairness of his punishment

After reading this and the other thread for 2 days it seems to me that :

A lapse in judgement can ruin a particuliar event but something involving a KCBS rep and falsified score cards has the potential to ruin the reputation of the entire organization and has apparently left a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths.Seems pretty common sense to me which should of been deemed worse and recieved a harsher penalty, dont really know what the rest of the drama in this was about if people would stick to the OP and stay on topic.

For the sake of clarity, the Kansas City Barbecue Society is not a business in the traditional sense. They are a not for profit company which files as a 501(c)3. That means that their primary purpose, whatever it is, is not to make money, but rather to further a non-political cause. It also means that the members of the organization are not allowed to receive any "undue benefit" from being members. IANAL, but this is what I understand to be true. I have been told by a current member of the KCBS BOD that this undue benefit doctrine is the reason why the KCBS can't require that all teams or head cooks be KCBS members.

dmp

DMP, I'm thinking that many have problems talking frankly and openly about their "hallowed" organizations; in this case KCBS. Sadly, any organization of any size at all has problems/issues. I sure wish people would understand that the only way to fix problems is to first identify them, and then secondly to delve into them, cause, etc. so that you can work to prevent them from being repeated... Rather, they'd bad-mouth the messenger... Sad.

Cheers, brother, hope to catch a beer with 'ya sometime.

<-- thinking to myself; DMP received a 3 year ban for showing bad judgement (a team member, really)... Shouldn't the folks on the BOD who voted "Yes" receive the same 3 year ban for their bad judgement? Fair is fair, yes?

dmprantz,

You should not have been banned for three years. The whole thing stinks to high heaven. Unfortunately there are some who can't see the forest for the trees.

Exactly. There's a big difference between a "cheater" and someone who made a boneheaded mistake. Not saying which label applies to the Rep (I have no idea), but to borrow DMP's NFL analogy, if the NFL fired a ref every time a boneheaded call was made, the ref corps would be very small.
I think it's more akin to the NFL rep was adding touchdowns that didn't happen vs a blown call. The one single person who can "fix" a contest is the person who enters the scores. That person has to be above reproach. Allowing a person who knowingly entered false data ("I have no idea how it happened" is such a weak argument that I won't even get into it) back in a position where they can do it again and directly affect contest results casts a shadow on every event they touch.

I have a question for DMP - KCBS has banned you from KCBS events yet you are not a KCBS member. How would they enforce this? What are they going to do? not include you in ToY? Have the organizer read you the trespass act?

KCBS has banned you from KCBS events yet you are not a KCBS member. How would they enforce this? What are they going to do? not include you in ToY? Have the organizer read you the trespass act?

The funny thing here is that even though I am banned from competing, the KCBS would gladly accept my money, and in fact has told me that they expect that to happen for some considerations. Honestly, this is something that I think is best not to test, but my guess is that if I were to be found competing at a competition by a rep who knows who I am, that entire team would be DQed in every category. Additionally, the head cook of that team (if it's not me) would be banned from competing in KCBS for some period of time, and the length of my ban would be increased. The decision of the rep would be final, and most-to-all organizers have you sign that you agree to follow the KCBS, so they would hope to be insulated from a fraud lawsuit. Even if an organizer told me I could compete, he would likely have signed a contract allowing the reps to make final decisions. I won't say the thought of testing this never crossed my mind, but the cost of a competition followed by the cost of a potential lawsuit makes it silly to even ponder.

I have attended KCBS competitions since my ban, but I've always contacted the reps before hand to explain the situation and to ensure that they know I have no intent on cooking. I've been asked what to do at a comp and refused to answer because it sounded too much like actually participating. My former teamate attended a dual sanctioned event with a team that entered both MBN and KCBS, and a self appointed member of KCBS ban police kept an eagle eye on him all night to make sure that he never participated in the KCBS side of things....

dmp

If KCBS is such a terrible organization, why do so many people voluntarily choose to spend $700 or more weekend after weekend to attend their sanctioned events and compete?

I was a member of a BOD for a home owners association. We were responsible for enforcing the Deed Restrictions imposed on the property and agreed to by each owner. We had a home owner who was operating a business from their home which was against the bylaws. We attempted to mediate the issue but to no avail. Our final action was filing a law suit against the property owner.

The BOD prevailed in this legal action but we were lectured by the judge that we, the BOD, could not be arbitrary or capricious in our enforcement of the deed restrictions or we would forfeit the right to enforce any. Just some food for thought. The question being could these two actions, when taken together and viewed by a third party not involved in the organization, be considered arbitrary or capricious.

Back