• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Fire extinguishers

Well we have not been checked but carry 2- 5 lb ones. I even have a 12 by 14 ezup that I put over my Lang and never had anyone say anything about that.

Last year we were "inspected" twice for tagged fire extinguishers.

One was "loose" and we were told to get one for next year.
I was ready for the second one which was a bit more serious.

We have a 5 ABC I bought new and had inspected and tagged.
In late June, I will have it inspected again.

I just don't need the hassle of dealing with it at a comp.

I really feel that the FD's are going to get more involved as time passes.

TIM

Paul got caught on bbq pitmasters with less than a 5 lb unit. Was at a comp this weekend they never asked.

I carry 3 one in the camper which is a 2.5lb ABC. Number 2 is a 10 lb ABC and is the one I would think would be your best bet. It is not a throw away unit and can be recharged by a pro. You can get them at Home Depot for about 65.00. My number 3 unit is a 10lb CO2. We have had this unit for a few years now but unlike your typical ABC these have no gauge and must be INSPECTED AND RECHARGED every other year unless it has been used.

Halon would be great but the cost is tooooo high!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

5 lbs ABC is what most comps require (if they specify).

BTW: Buy a "Kidde" brand... I needz my job. LOL

Out of more than 100 contests, we've only been checked twice. One time we had the 5LB ABC on us and the second time we had to go buy one. The problem is that in small town, 4 or 5 teams hit the hardware store and they are out. One secret (fire marshall's and department personnel stop reading here) is to borrow a unit that has already been inspected from another team. We were at a contest once where the same extinguisher must have been passed to 20+ teams.

I've also had to go buy 1/4" fire screen to put over the exhaust of my pit before too. Like the vigilante health departments in some communities, the FD stuff can get ridiculous. Has there ever been an uncontrollable fire or a fire related injury that would have been prevented with a fire extinguisher at a BBQ contest? Don't get me wrong, I've seen lots of fires at contests but never seen an extinguisher requirement save the day. And I'm certainly not opposed to prudent fire safety, just the fire nazis.

In the Southwestern states, fire inspections are frequent and sometimes rigorous. We've seen grease fires and cooker explosions, and most often fires are the result of members of the public throwing trash into the (marked) hot-ash cans. It's nice to have an extinguisher on hand, although we haven't had to use it.

Fire extinghisher

PNWBA requires them in our rules and we do checks when we the meat inspection. Many of our fire marshals will shut down the cook if they don't have the right one and that it is new or inspected within the last 12 months.

Back