• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Green Egg or Kamodo grill?

C

ckkphoto

After a LONG 2 years of not getting to run a smoker at all after a career change and move, I am getting ready (within the next six months) to buy a smoker again.
Option one, a small trailer horizontal pit....prolly find something homemade here in Georgia.
Option two-green egg
Option three--Kamodo grill.

Ready and willing to hear suggestions and input.

And if anybody recognizes me after I have been gone so long (except when I cyberstalked)_, I missed yall here.

Ckk,
I think before anyone can give you any recommendations you need to give a bit more info about what you would like to do with your new cooker. Once you do that then the experienced folks around here can give some recommendations based on your needs. Otherwise they'll be speaking to what works best for them and may be totally wrong for you.

I'd go with the akorn b/c I'm cheap, but the green egg, kamado joe, and primo are all excellent kamados.

I hear ya! I am picking up a Kamado Joe at 9am tomorrow! I put a lot of thought into it but I am still a little apprehensive lol! I think people will twist your arm with what they have or what they love!
I actually was going to get a Weber kettle again, but after seeing a Kamado, I reckon it will do most of the cooking I will need. I like the idea of low and slow but the fact is a pizza oven, steak searing and general oven in the one item. Only time will tell!

For versatility and ease of operation, you cannot beat a Kamado style cooker... Whether it is a Big Green Egg, Kamado Joe or an Acorn. There are big differences in quality and price but they work similarly.

You will get two other pieces of advice... "Build a UDS" and "Buy a WSM"... :p

For versatility and ease of operation, you cannot beat a Kamado style cooker... Whether it is a Big Green Egg, Kamado Joe or an Acorn. There are big differences in quality and price but they work similarly.

You will get two other pieces of advice... "Build a UDS" and "Buy a WSM"... :p

Everything Shirknwrk listed would be a good option.

The pbc is a factory made uds that costs more but is much better to look at (it fits in a lot better in my neighborhood) and cooks up some good cue as well. You'll hear one or two people bash it though- it just very recnetly made it through its trial by fire on this forum.

Last edited:
Either the Big Joe or the XL BGE. I have the large BGE and its not big enough for spares or large cooks.

I really like my large BGE. It can easily do a 20 hr burn with the lump I put in I use a Guru but there are others who can adjust it without a devise like Guru and maintain temps. Can do high heat cooks. Lots of accessories available at the ceramic grill store. I can only speak about the Egg but have heard people are very happy with the others and then there is always the UDS

All depends on what you cook and how much you cook. A kamado style grill is very versatile and efficient so the BGE would be a great choice. Your option #3 says “Kamodo Grill”. Do you mean a Kamodo Kamado? These are super nice but the price reflects this. If you can afford one go for it as you get a super nice cooker and a conversation piece / yard art in a single purchase.
If you just meant kamado grill then I have a Vision kamado and there are lots of other choices out there. (KJ, Primo, Grill Dome, Acorn, Etc…) With the accessories I bought from the Ceramic Grill Store I can do ribs but if I ever had to cook more than 2 racks it would be tight and I’d have to use a rack and possibly trim or cut them in half. I can also do up to 4 butts. I really like my Vision but if I had to do it over I’d probably buy a XLBGE or Big Joe.

Thanks all for the replies. We are purchasing a property with some land. I love having company so was thinking of a small horizontal trailer smoker so I could slap on a feed. My previous two smokers were Banderas and I did fine with them. Usually only had one or two pieces of meat inthem but there were about a dozen occaisions when I had it COMPLETELY full. The Bandera was very wood hungry and took a lot of attention to keep the temp. I didn't mind at the time but have a lot less time than I used to. Also I am looking for something a little longer lived...I cooked the two banderas into rust.
The Green egg and Kamodo wont rust out and are less wood hungry but have less capacity. I have never seen a Kamodo egg style smoker in person so don't know how it compares to the BGE. This Is why I asked for and appreciate all the opinions. Happy to hear anyones opinion. I have months before I commit.
Don't know what UDS stands for.

What do you mean here? Are you talking about the Komodo Kamado, Kamado Joe or something else?
I guess the Kamado Joe. I didn't know anything about the Komodo Kamodo. The egg type smokers are interesting to me b/c it solves the rust issue I had with the Bandera.

I guess the Kamado Joe. I didn't know anything about the Komodo Kamodo. The egg type smokers are interesting to me b/c it solves the rust issue I had with the Bandera.

Bandera's are pretty badass cookers too. I wish I had one in the stable. As far as kamdo cookers go, they can do anything. Smoke, grill, bake. You cannot go wrong with Kamado Joe.

I guess the Kamado Joe. I didn't know anything about the Komodo Kamodo.
Here is a Kamodo Kamado. Like I said, a super nice cooker and a conversation piece / yard art in a single purchase.

11142090_Tiled_Ceramic_Komodo_Kamado_BBQ_Grill_zps8969d615.jpg

I a have a Komodo Kamado and it is unbelievably well built. It was expensive but you can see the quality! It will smoke cheese to cook pizza. Best thing I ever bought! You would not be disappointed and the customer service is first rate.

Everyone will have their opinion, but I like my egg. I have a dealer within 7 miles, who treats me fairly, has honored every warranty claim i've had, and stocks a good assortment of wood and rubs. I like my egg, but I love the service I get from a local dealer.

Looking forward to adding another one this summer, hopefully!

You are looking at 2 very different type of cookers. The Kamado's, including the BGE, are very versatile and are set it and forget it type cookers. In fact, the less you open them during the cook, the better. The offset will have similar type of time requirements that you had with the Banderas. But, the flavor and style of cooking is more what you are used to.

All kamado's have pros and kons , I've sold and owned several! I'll just list the pros for the ones I've owned
BGE has several accessories , aftermarket and oem
Primo has a unique shape and is made in the USA
Grill Dome has thicker thicker ceramic , stainless hardware , spring assist lid & different colors.
All are great grills and smokers , just different features!

Back