turkey breast

D

DWFII

I'd like to do a turkey breast come Monday. In the past I have brined and cooked over indirect heat. Since the Bandera is a smoker and not a grill, I am curious as to how ya'll do a turkey breast. Low and slow I presume and to what temp?

250-275 until it reaches 170 (maybe 165 and foil it lightly to let it rest - it'll keep cooking to 170).

Dave,

Thanks.

My pit runs pretty good at 220-240. It's like it's zoned in. I don't know if I can keep it at 250 or above without a hair dryer.

Thoughts?

DFWII, Low and slow isn't required for turkey as it isn't a cantacerous(sp?) tough cut like a butt or brisket that needs time to tenderize. Slowing the cooking time can add to drying, so if you can get the temp higher, that's good but not essential.

BTW-Most commercially available turkey breasts are prebrined (will say injected/packed in a solution of xx% of ......) that means its brined. Additional brining really isn't necessary for moisture. If you're using it as a means to carry in some extra flavor and it's worked for you in the past, stick with what you're comfortable with.

Agree with kcquer, pit temp of 275 or higher and take the internal on breast to no higher than 160. I pull anywhere from 155 to 157 internal and let rest before carving.

Back