Question for you GBA guys

abangs

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hawgin on Lanier in Gainesville, Ga on May 17/18. We are contemplating a dual sanction KCBS and GBA. Primarily because there is a GBA event in Gainesville the following weekend. The goal of this dual sanction would be to provide back to back events that would offer traveling teams to leave thier rigs and not have to haul it twice. Also to help cross promote each event and maybe pull a few more teams into each. We do not want to compete with the other event. For you GA Kcbs teams that are thinking of doing a GBA or vise versa, would this be something you would be interested in??

Possibly. Don't you have to be a GBA member to cook one of their events?

I dont think that you will find a lot of KCBS only teams looking to cook a GBA the week following a KCBS. If you had the both on the same weekend, you might find some interested parties, but a different week is a different week.

That is what is happening DawgPhan. The weekend of May 17th, Abangs is looking to have a GBA and KCBS together. This should draw some more teams in because they can potentially leave their trailers somewhere in preparation for the Brenau GBA and MBN competition the next weekend, also in Gainesville.

Essentially, you could compete in 4 competitions among 3 different organizations in two weekends!

fnbish, the team pitmaster must be a member ($35/year membership). You can send in the membership app ahead of time or join at the contest. A lot of GBA teams also cook KCBS. I know the GBA would welcome the KCBS teams to give us a try. Maybe the two contests can come up with some type of bonus award for the team that does best in both contests combined.

That is what we are thinking. Trying to get some feedback right now....also want to make sure we don't step on brenau's toes. I think it would be really good for GBA and both weekends' events.

abangs,

I admire your enthusiasm and desire to pack as many teams in as possible. Especially since you are somewhat competing with the Marietta contest. We are choosing to cook your KCBS contest over Marietta.

Your website shows a 15.6k purse for the KCBS (Pro) contest. Are you still shooting for this? I hope you stick with a figure somewhere close to that and you are able to come up with a separate purse for the GBA contest if that goes through.

We would also love to see the GBA start posting purse amounts...I know this is the organizer's responsibility, but everybody knows that the $$ is what will draw the teams in.

Thank you.

I (Pots BBQ) just signed up for GBA. We are looking forward to cooking a GBA event this year. But we haven't made up our mind which one to do yet.

abangs,

I admire your enthusiasm and desire to pack as many teams in as possible. Especially since you are somewhat competing with the Marietta contest. We are choosing to cook your KCBS contest over Marietta.

Your website shows a 15.6k purse for the KCBS (Pro) contest. Are you still shooting for this? I hope you stick with a figure somewhere close to that and you are able to come up with a separate purse for the GBA contest if that goes through.

We would also love to see the GBA start posting purse amounts...I know this is the organizer's responsibility, but everybody knows that the $$ is what will draw the teams in.

Thank you.

Yes the purse is that big!!! The Marietta event is only gonna pull 4 teams from us. We cooked the sam's Marietta and Hendersonville last year. We will not be cooking any sam's events again unless they treat the cook teams better. They treat the cook teams like crap......that whole series is over rated.

We are looking forward to seeing you this year! Thanks!

abangs,

Thank you.

check our website at bbqga.org. Cook team applications have the detailed payout for the contest.

Back