• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

licensed contests vs. ?????

wrenfro12

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
While at a comp this weekend I got a flyer for another contest. The flyer had the KCBS logo and said it was a licensed contest. I did not see it on the KCBS website so I sent them an email to ask about that and let them know someone was using their logo. I got the following response.

This is a KCBS contest, it is a Licensed contest.
It wouldn't be listed on our website as we don't
list licensed contests.

My question is what do they call a regular contest and how is that different from a licensed contest?

From the link above...

Licensed Contest

A licensed contest is for those Organizers who are just getting their feet wet on the barbeque circuit. It is only offered to first time organizers and is the simplest of three types of contests offered by KCBS. The purpose of the Licensed Contest is to help an organizer move from a first year contest to a Traditional Sanctioned contest in the following year. It is designed to help an Organizer obtain the knowledge and success needed to have a successful Sanctioned event. With a Licensed Contest, the Organizer is required to use the KCBS rules and regulations. We will ask one of our reps to volunteer their time to work your contest, but you must provide their travel and expenses. The Licensed Contest is not eligible for the American Royal or the Jack Daniels World Championship. In addition, teams who participate in a Licensed Contest will not receive KCBS Team of the Year points. A Licensed Contest can only be obtained once and only for a first year contest.

While at a comp this weekend I got a flyer for another contest. The flyer had the KCBS logo and said it was a licensed contest. I did not see it on the KCBS website so I sent them an email to ask about that and let them know someone was using their logo. I got the following response.

This is a KCBS contest, it is a Licensed contest.
It wouldn't be listed on our website as we don't
list licensed contests.

My question is what do they call a regular contest and how is that different from a licensed contest?

Will - This is the contest you are referring to:
http://www.theatlantachilicookoff.com/

Should be a great one and don't worry that it is only licensed. The Braziers are the reps. Big Jim Stancil is the organizer for the BBQ contest and Rick Goldstein has lined up 100% certified judges.

Back