• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cleaning An Ash Pan

el_matt

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I recently scored an old OTS. The ash pan is dirty, not over the top, but still doable. How can I clean it up and make it look "pretty" before I start using it, and dirty it up again? Is sandpaper the only way, or is there some chemical I should use first?

I know it's just an ash pan, but I've cleaned up everything else, so why not? Once I get savvy with the computer, I'll post some pr0n, but until then...

Matt

You could try a little brasso or bartenders friend. That might work to shine it up?

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

It is aluminum, right? Scrap out what you can and take [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Grit-Flap-Aluminum-Oxide/dp/B000WGGBR8/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1357876990&sr=8-16&keywords=sand+paper+wheels"]Flap Disc[/ame] to it.

Turn it into a One Touch Gold by calling up Weber and saying that you have a OTG where the ash ring and can were damaged in a move. They will ask for a date code, give them that and pay $20-$30 for it.

I did it to the Used 5 timesWeber OTS I bought off craigslist for $20. I payed $25ish for the OTG replacement parts. So I basically ended up with a OTG for $45.

Turn it into a One Touch Gold by calling up Weber and saying that you have a OTG where the ash ring and can were damaged in a move. They will ask for a date code, give them that and pay $20-$30 for it.

I did it to the Used 5 timesWeber OTS I bought off craigslist for $20. I payed $25ish for the OTG replacement parts. So I basically ended up with a OTG for $45.

So far, I'm liking this idea the best. Are the One Touch systems slightly different from year to year?

Matt

Best solution is to start with a detergent soak followed by pressure washing. If that isn't sufficient, then a good next step would be to blast it. Soda blasting would be an excellent choice as would glass bead.

Another thing you can do that would look great is to take your random orbital sander and get a brown 3M pad that fits onto it, and scrub it using that. You will get a very pleasing matte swirl pattern, way better than using a flap wheel or other heavy abrasive thing like that.

Or, you could bribe your kid with a new video game and turn him loose with some no. 4 steel wool .. :)

So far, I'm liking this idea the best. Are the One Touch systems slightly different from year to year?

Matt

They went through a significant change in the late 1990's, as far as how the OTG/Master'sTouch ash catchers attached to the bowls. After that, I don't believe they changed.

CD

Back