• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Comp.Chicken Legs?????

B

ButtHuttBBQ

Do teams ever use chicken legs in comps? All I have ever seen is thighs what about the great chicken leg????

I have never personally done them, but have seen them turned in on more than one occassion.

see them every now and then. have had some that were very good. keith

we turned in legs and thighs once,got first place,mind you these were small legs and small thighs ... 6 of each

Just this last Saturday at Pleasant Hill, MO our table was presented with a chicken leg entry. I gave it pretty high marks, although a couple of the other judges said it tasted too smoky - but it scored pretty nicely overall.

So, yes - chicken legs happen.

I plan on using them this year. I was also planning to maybe through in a few cornish hens as well... I get tired of thighs all the time.

Yep, we have a couple of first walks with them. Felt lucky and usually do thights though. We have also seen some other teams doing them but you do not know what was turned in that scored well.

Legs aren't that uncommon -- I'll see them several times in a season. They are, however, less forgiving of overcooking and you can't trim out the tendons without altering the appearance quite a bit. Thighs trim easily and more uniformly.

Thanks everyone maybe try some in one of our comps this year.

My first contest...I have only done 4...I turned in 3 thighs and 3 legs. had 3 good scores and 3 ok scores. I dunno which ones scored higher. I have since only turned in thighs and have been pleased with results. I have judged a few contests and will hear judges talking about how they would like to see something different. My feeling is that if I give them something different they wont like it.

Back