Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Smokin at the Track - Shenandoah, VA Sept 20-21, 2013

17 teams when I checked last week. Not sure how many teams have signed up since then.

Website says they are full in KCBS and backyard. I need to check that out since last time I hecked with Carey he said he was expecting 22 and was trying to get the three more necessary to reach qualifier status.

Website says they are full in KCBS and backyard. I need to check that out since last time I hecked with Carey he said he was expecting 22 and was trying to get the three more necessary to reach qualifier status.

I called yesterday to get in. There was space but the team count was at twenty and not a qualifier so I am passing on this. That's too bad as this looks like a good event in a nice area.

We are in. The backyard teams are doing all 4 meats, I wonder if they can talk a few of them in to moving over to the KCBS at no extra charge to get to 25?

I had seen that registration was cut off Sunday due to space limitations. Carey had said there was room for 40 teams, but I think that was Pro and Backyard combined. I hope the overabundance of Backyard teams didn't limit the amount of Pro entries.

We are in. The backyard teams are doing all 4 meats, I wonder if they can talk a few of them in to moving over to the KCBS at no extra charge to get to 25?

Great idea! However, I don't think it is fair to allow them in at no extra charge. They will have a shot at a larger purse compared to the Backyard prizes without having contributed to the prize pool.

Last edited:
I called yesterday to get in. There was space but the team count was at twenty and not a qualifier so I am passing on this. That's too bad as this looks like a good event in a nice area.

Rick- it was nice catching up in Richmond, hate that your not coming because they are under 25, but I understand. Maybe woodstock in October?

OK just spoke with Carey Verba, organizer for Smokin' on the Track. He told me he waited and waited for a number of teams that were saying they'd come, and when they didn't commit by this weekend past, he felt he had to focus on setup as o...posed to getting more teams. That's why he put up the "closed" for registration on the site. Same issue for judges as he had 50+ calls, and when he could not commit to all of them the majority of the ones he had on standby went elsewhere and won't reconsider. However, Carey said he is now RE-OPENING the comp for registration. So it's still not to late to get in. He said judges won't be a problem (I said I'd help him out with the judges recruiting as well). This is a superb venue (when else are you gonna have your own ginormous spot on a racetrack ON Pit Row) and great folks so let's get rolling and get this comp to 25 teams!

http://smokinbbqpal.com/

Back