• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Practice Turn in box

TowersOfFood

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Please tell me what you think and if I did anything wrong

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 370
It would look better if the ribs came from the same rack. At least each group of 4. I would put the exposed bone down and tidy up the parsley. The parsley is not judged, but in this case it is taking away for the "picture"

Oh the 3rd from the left is overdone - let me eat it now!
Delicious.

Thanks for the advise. I'm having another practice run Sunday.
It would look better if the ribs came from the same rack. At least each group of 4. I would put the exposed bone down and tidy up the parsley. The parsley is not judged, but in this case it is taking away for the "picture"

The first thing you did wrong was post this in Q-Talk. :-D

I moved it to the competition forum.

The second thing is the angle of the picture. Judges look at the box from the end with the tabs, so the picture would be easier to view that way. I'll see if I can rotate it.

Attachments

• TowerofFoodRibs.jpg
    TowerofFoodRibs.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 351
Sorry about that. As far as the picture I did it from my iPad I guess it turned. Now I know to post in this forum for competition. Thanks again for your help.
The first thing you did wrong was post this in Q-Talk. :-D

I moved it to the competition forum.

The second thing is the angle of the picture. Judges look at the box from the end with the tabs, so the picture would be easier to view that way. I'll see if I can rotate it.

Looks good but are the ribs on the bottom the same length as the ones on the top. Only reason I'm asking is if the ones on the bottom are shorter, than I would put those on top. Don't get me wrong it's a good looking box

Something like this, has been good to me. 4 on 4, 5 on 5, I always take them consecutively from each rack.

Attachments

• IMG_397448523775951.jpg
    IMG_397448523775951.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 348
As for the ribs, they look good...I like the color a lot. They look very moist as well; not too much sauce. The front row, 3rd from the left is a little different coloration from the others in the front and has some goop on the bone...I would clean that up. Try to get consecutive bones because they will line up better; I can see the front row that they do not line up across the bottom so that detracts from the appearance. Work on getting your cuts straighter as well. If you're not already, try cutting them face down so you can line your knife up better.

Overall they look good!

I agree totally with Beth!
Additionally, in this case, 4 on 5 would have looked better for balance. Judges are supposed to judge the meat, but overall impression may get your score reduced. Try to frame the meat with the garnish so that you have the same amount showing all the way around. Again, try to make each rib as identical as possible to the rib on either side of it.

Good start, just tweak it a bit to improve.

Thanks for all the tips. I have a lot to improve on. Thank god I don't compete until September. I will post again on my next practice.

Mr. Towersof,
Shoot on over to BBQ Critic.com and spend some time looking and reading what judges think of different meat entrys. Lots of very good information on what judges think are at your finger tips.
Good luck.
ED

it is 8's all day. push the meat together and trim the ribs a little more even.

wouldnt be surprised to see that box get mostly 9's though. You put red meat in a box on top of parsley...that gets 9s a lot of the time.

Plus:
Great color; very moist and juicy looking;

Minus:
Uneven cuts; inconsistant color; "fingernails" distracting in the "up" position; garnish distracts from overall presentation (too "shaggy")

Suggestions:
1. Bone tips down - What I call the "Fingernails" or the portion of the bone that the meat pulls away from can be distracting. Put them at the bottom of the box so the eye travels across the meat to get to them instead of becoming the center focal point in the middle of the box.
2. Even up the cuts - Symmetry is important in creating a visual tableau. It's all about balance and how you create the overall experience for the eye. If you are going to block out your ribs, the block should be as even as possible. That means your cuts need to be as parallel as possible. Try to get bones from the same rack whenever possible. That way even if the cuts are a little off, the overall picture is still good.
3, HOWEVER, don't sacrifice color for evenness. If you have four racks and you can get five good ribs from one rack and two or three from another, but they're different colors, go with color and separate your ribs. Color - not evenenss - is what the judge will see and interpret first.
4. Remember: Appearance is the least-wekghted portion of the judging process. Concentrate your energy on taste and texture that are both weighted more heavily. In this case, form following function will serve you better. It doesn't matter how pretty they are if they don't taste or pull well.

Plus:
Great color; very moist and juicy looking;

Minus:
Uneven cuts; inconsistant color; "fingernails" distracting in the "up" position; garnish distracts from overall presentation (too "shaggy")

Suggestions:
1. Bone tips down - What I call the "Fingernails" or the portion of the bone that the meat pulls away from can be distracting. Put them at the bottom of the box so the eye travels across the meat to get to them instead of becoming the center focal point in the middle of the box.
2. Even up the cuts - Symmetry is important in creating a visual tableau. It's all about balance and how you create the overall experience for the eye. If you are going to block out your ribs, the block should be as even as possible. That means your cuts need to be as parallel as possible. Try to get bones from the same rack whenever possible. That way even if the cuts are a little off, the overall picture is still good.
3, HOWEVER, don't sacrifice color for evenness. If you have four racks and you can get five good ribs from one rack and two or three from another, but they're different colors, go with color and separate your ribs. Color - not evenenss - is what the judge will see and interpret first.
4. Remember: Appearance is the least-wekghted portion of the judging process. Concentrate your energy on taste and texture that are both weighted more heavily. In this case, form following function will serve you better. It doesn't matter how pretty they are if they don't taste or pull well.

Lots of great info here!

Back