• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What cooker would you switch to?

We switched this year from a Lang 84 clone to a Rebel 28 Cabinet Smoker. What a world of difference it has made for us. It cooks a great product, holds the temp exceptionally well, and.... I get more sleep. :clap:. We could not be happier. It all depends on what your needs are and what you are trying to achieve. For us, we found the best solution. There are lots of recommendations and great testimonies to back all of the choices that folks are posting. Good luck and let us know what you decide. !!!

We have a number of cookers, but the FEC and Chubby (for ribs) seem to be getting us the best results.

Thanks Chris..if I remember right we sat next to you and your wife in the back of the tent at Myron's back in feb 2010?..I remember your team name.

Matt, you know you want to be a WSM team so just make the move and don't look back.

It would also be a lot safer for me when we're cooking next to each other!

I went from this Orion Convection Cooker that I used in my 1st comp

To 2 22.5 WSM's that I will be using in my 2nd comp next weekend

Never looking back and glad I upgraded :icon_smile_tongue:

I currently cook on a trio of UDSs, as much as I would love upgrading to an expensive fancy cooker I really don't see a need. I have so much faith in my cookers that I put my Butts and Brisket on and go to the hotel and sleep. I WANT a cool cooker but I'm afraid it would mess up my rest.

If I had endless garage space and money I would buy a Jambo J3, a pellet pooper, and keep my meat monster.. For now I am very happy with the meat monster, with the guru it gives me great product, sleep and its very versatile.

If I were to switch from a big cooker to a smaller cooker I would switch to a Humphrey's pit They are rock solid, well designed and all of their cookers will hold a full size pan. Give them a call they are great people, they will help you out with whatever you need!!

Really nice looking pits. Two observations. The firebox looks really shallow. I know it is long, but it looks more shallow than even a standard bw party firebox. Also, It looks like the Humphreys pits are barely wide enough to fit full pans. Are you at all worried about airflow around the sides? Those shelf rails coupled with the pan width (including the lip) looks like little to no airflow.

Jambo enclosed model. It has everything I would want in a smoker. The only problem would be loading that thing on my trailer.

Hard to switch to just one cooker. Every cooker compromises something.

Pitmaker vault is next on my dream list

If I had endless garage space and money I would buy a Jambo J3, a pellet pooper, and keep my meat monster.. For now I am very happy with the meat monster, with the guru it gives me great product, sleep and its very versatile.

Sounds like you are describing my garage!!!!

Very happy with my Baby J, wish at the time I had the money or the patience to get the J3, so if I was changing I'd move up to a bigger Geer pit.

All that being said, after again cooking with Jeff of KC Can Crew, I'm still not convinced that my two UDS's are not the best cookers for the money. And I really did not want to part with my Backwoods Party, great for ribs and chicken.

Matt, I'll tell you honestly, I don't think we've driven the WSMs to their limit yet. We are still learning things about how to use them to get the product we want.

Now, that's not to say that if we suddenly had the option to use something else, and the means to get it to contests, that we wouldn't switch. Everyone thinks about "what-if" I had such-and-such shiny magical cooker. And we've seen more than one person buy the shiny magical cooker, whichever one it is at the time, and not do any particularly better than they were doing on the old one.

So, given that we still have transport issues, we haven't yet concretely thought about a change. Maybe next year!

In the category of "if it ain't broke" I've been cooking on my 18" and 22" WSMs out on the patio in the offseason. We were all WSM the first two seasons and switched to BWS last year, primarily to minimize the impact of rain, wind etc. on cooker performance w/o having to resort to plywood shields, insulation, and other such stuff. But when the weather is good, as it has been at home the past month, those WSMs put out some pretty spectacular product. I'm thinking about putting the 18" in the truck and bringing it along. Maybe I'll use it, maybe not. But it is calling my name.

I love my Stumps Stretch. For my next smoker I will either get a another Stumps smoker the "Stumpster" or a Backwoods Chubby G2 or Party G2 because of the small foot print.

Really nice looking pits. Two observations. The firebox looks really shallow. I know it is long, but it looks more shallow than even a standard bw party firebox. Also, It looks like the Humphreys pits are barely wide enough to fit full pans. Are you at all worried about airflow around the sides? Those shelf rails coupled with the pan width (including the lip) looks like little to no airflow.

Great Question. Humphrey's put much thought into the cooking chamber dimensions. The spacing between the rails maximizes the cooking space to be able to use three pans and still have plenty of room for air flow. Please take a look at the drawing below showing to scale full size aluminum pans in relation to the cooking chamber. Also note, two half size foil pans will also fit on one rack and are much shorter than a full size pan. So if you did have concern, you could opt to go that route as well.
The spacing between the rails can also be used to hold the rack and still have the option of pulling the rack just about all the way out and stay within the rails. This gives you loads of configurations for rack locations.

AIR_FLOW.jpg

Back