• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

WSM 22.5 or a CG Akorn Kamado Kooker???

I've had an Akorn for a couple years now, and I love it. I definitely wouldn't trade it for a WSM. I believe many of the people who don't recommend Akorns for low and slow bbq have never cooked on one. Mine holds temp like an oven for 8-10 hour cooks and I have done absolutely nothing to it except haul it home and cook on it-not a single one of those mods that everbody thinks you need to do for some reason. And it uses less charcoal than anything I have ever cooked on, I can get several long cooks out of an 8-lb. bag of lump. My several other smokers have been sitting idle a lot since I got the Akorn. Plus, it's a lot more than just a smoker-makes great pizza, and you can use it as a kettle-style grill, too. I don't use it a lot for high-heat grilling, (I like my barrel grill better for grilling a couple steaks or burgers or something,) but it rocks for good, moist, tender bbq, ribs, chicken, turkeys, pizzas, biscuits, and such. There are a lot of Weber cult members out there who wouldn't think of buying anything else. Weber is good stuff, but it's not the end-all better than everything else just because of the logo on it.

X2^^^

You can tell from my signature that I love Weber products. However, since I bought my Akorn just over a year ago and the only times I've used my other grills is my gasser's side burner and a Weber kettle at our cabin.

I do cook high heat on mine and find it great for steaks, burgers, lamb chops, etc. I miss being able to set up for graduated heat levels.

I may get slammed for this, but it seems like the food out of the Akorn is a little more moist. Maybe because it is tighter and there is less air flow.

Some other things to note. The Akorn's insulation makes it very efficient, especially in the cold when a WSM will go through charcoal like pigs in slop. The WSM is also very susceptible to wind, there is a good chance you will need some type of wind block for it. Because the design of the Akorn is so contained I feel comfortable using it on my Trex deck. I would never have one of my Weber charcoal grills on a deck for fear of a fire.

I don't cook for large crowds. The Akorn won't have near the capacity of the 18.5 or 22.5 WSMs.

I've had an Akorn for a couple years now, and I love it. I definitely wouldn't trade it for a WSM. I believe many of the people who don't recommend Akorns for low and slow bbq have never cooked on one. Mine holds temp like an oven for 8-10 hour cooks and I have done absolutely nothing to it except haul it home and cook on it-not a single one of those mods that everbody thinks you need to do for some reason. And it uses less charcoal than anything I have ever cooked on, I can get several long cooks out of an 8-lb. bag of lump. My several other smokers have been sitting idle a lot since I got the Akorn. Plus, it's a lot more than just a smoker-makes great pizza, and you can use it as a kettle-style grill, too. I don't use it a lot for high-heat grilling, (I like my barrel grill better for grilling a couple steaks or burgers or something,) but it rocks for good, moist, tender bbq, ribs, chicken, turkeys, pizzas, biscuits, and such. There are a lot of Weber cult members out there who wouldn't think of buying anything else. Weber is good stuff, but it's not the end-all better than everything else just because of the logo on it.

These are my sentiments exactly. I was new to charcoal as my primary method when I bought the Akorn. from my very first use, I have had nothing but success. very easy to maintain temperatures. Versatility and I think it rivals LP in efficiency. Like the post above, I have done no modifications. It was suggested at one time that I purchase a BBQ guru, and I considered it, but decided there is absolutely no need.

Now all this being said, I have no experience in using a WSM.

I've been using an Akorn for a couple of years now. I do low and slow and high heat searing. It takes practice like any other cooker, but once you learn the tendencies of the cooker, you'll love it. The biggest draw back is the limited capacity.

Based on what you posted and what you already have, I say go with a 22 WSM. It holds bigger cuts of meat and is a pure smoker. HOWEVER, both will produce great smoked meat. I've done well using my kegs in BBQ comps, here in TX.. where just about everybody uses a stick burner. Smoke flavor isn't an issue here.

I do cook on a BGE from time to time, and love it for a lot of different reasons. I imagine the BSK is a lot the same. But, I recently did a 12 rack cook, which would simply not have been possible on the XL BGE that was sitting there. the two racks in a 22" WSM will allow for that (although just barely). In terms of doing three racks, the BGE would be my choice, I think the end product of ribs was better of the BGE. And I believe it is because of the nature of the insulated cooker.

Second on the Cajun Bandit Conversion kit for the kettle---

You mentioned that you already had a 22.5 Kettle, take a good look at the Cajun Bandit, with it, you will have the best of both worlds!!!

I have two electric bradleys, a gasser, a 275 gallon offset, and bought an Akorn about 5 months ago.I am still amazed at how the Akorn holds temps, how little lump it takes to do long cooks, its ability to cook in freezing weather with no problems, how little the wind affects it, and the way I can do a 5 hour low and slow on ribs and be searing steaks 10 minutes later with little effort.My other grills and smokers havent been used in months.

The cons to the Akorn are it doesnt hold a lot of food, Ive gotten 3 racks of ribs and seen people get up to 4 butts on one, and it will hold a fairly large brisket. If you cook more food than that often I would consider something bigger.And while it doesnt weigh as much as say an egg you still need two people to load it and unload it.

Never used a WSM si cant really comment or compare the two from personal experience.

I have both a 22" WSM and the Acorn, love them both. But from what you have described as your needs and current equipment I would say WSM. You can also hang chicken, ribs, tri tip etc.... like the PBC cooker in a WSM.

Back