Slow n Sear advice please

Dave46

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hi all

Bit of advice for a newbie please I recently bought my first bbq after 20 odd years in the wilderness. not enough deliberation, I purchased one of these:doh:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CosmoGrill-Outdoor-XXL-Smoker-Charcoal-BBQ-Portable-Grill-Garden-BBQ/223852459591?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Been looking at a few videos and interested in the slow n sear method as it looks fool-proof (just what i need!) for slow cooking but as you can see, i don't have a kettle.

Are there similar accessories for stupid people that didn't buy a kettle? I've looked but can't find anything.

Thanks in advance

First, Welcome to the site!
The slow and sear concept has the heat source on one side of the grill, and the cooking being done indirectly from the heat source until the meat is almost done, usually by temp; then to finish the cook, the meat is put directly over the heat source to sear the exterior of the meat.
If the cooking is done covered, the heat stays within the cook area. Almost like an oven, which will speed up the process. If cooking on open grill, then the meat is a little closer to the heat source.
Hope that helps.

Hi Dave

There is no device I know, but you could probably use firebricks to create a similar effect by banking coals on one side of cooker. If I was cooking indirect/smoking I would have charcoal on opposite site of stack and charcoal grate in lowest position furthest from grate level.

You can do slow and sear on most any device, including the one you purchased. As for how, follow the above mentioned methods.

You can do slow and sear on most any device, including the one you purchased. As for how, follow the above mentioned methods.

Good point, it'll most likely fit since it's 64cm wide, it probably won't be a perfect fit, but would most likely work

Thanks for the replies chaps, much appreciated. The only reason i asked about the SnS was it looks really easy to control the internal temp with the lid down.

Fire bricks sounds like a a cheap way of replicating it (without the water), also thought about getting a stainless/galvanised steel box and give that a try too.

Out of interest, is there any reason the SnS wouldn't work in a non-kettle?

Slow and sear (reverse sear) will work on most anything. I have even done it on a gas grill. Just do not cook for the slow part above the hot area. Heat source on one end nothing on the other. To finish put it on the hot area :grin:

Thanks for the replies chaps, much appreciated. The only reason i asked about the SnS was it looks really easy to control the internal temp with the lid down.

Fire bricks sounds like a a cheap way of replicating it (without the water), also thought about getting a stainless/galvanised steel box and give that a try too.

Out of interest, is there any reason the SnS wouldn't work in a non-kettle?

It will work on any form of grill, Just take the advice and try it. Sometimes imagination helps the particular situation of each cook.

I use common paver stones of the thinnest size I can find. Typically 1.25 inches thick. 2 of them lined up on one side of a pit will allow you a nook to pile your fuel (briquettes or lump with wood chunks buried) into. I keep 4 around so I can create a square hole in middle of my kettle for a sort of vortex effect cook, pile fuel in middle of cooker, and set all the chicken parts or whatever all around the outside of the cooking grate. It's cheap, it's simple, it works. When they decide to break a few years down the road, it's only another $5.00 to get 4 new ones.

Back