View Single Post
Old 06-15-2016, 07:22 PM   #7
Learning to BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbsarris View Post
All LP grill regulators run at the same pressure, 11 water column inches. The newer ones just have a different hose connector for the new tank valves. You don't want to mess with the regulator setting (most are not adjustable anyway). You can tweak the BTU output quite a bit by drilling out the burner orifice. You can usually increase the orifice size by a couple of drill sizes with tiny numbered drill bits. Just go one size at a time until you get a bigger flame and don't go too big. You will have to adjust the air mix at the burner tube as well until you get a nice steady blue flame. I have changed many burner orifices on Webers to increase the BTU output.
^^what he said. Orifice size will get you the btu's but you will need a numbered set of drills. If you google btu output an orifice size for propane you will find some charts. I did it on the grill I had once that wouldn't get up to the temps I wanted. But I only had fractional drill bits so end up going bigger than I wanted. Had lots of temp then!

UDS, 22.5" Masterbuilt Pro kettle
Learning to BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote