Chicken and Ribs

bsum87

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first forum post, so thanks for having me! Anyway, I am going to be doing my first smoke on my new UDS and am going to be smoking chicken and ribs. My only question is to what to do about the wood. This is my first time smoking multiple meats at the same time, thought I'd give myself a challenge haha. I am planning on using a combo of hickory and cherry. I know that will work just fine for the ribs, I'm just worried that the hickory may over power the chicken when I put it on and if I only use cherry it won't be enough for the ribs. Any feedback will be very much appreciated.

Actually, I really don't use wood that much. Just some lump and briqs seem to supply all the smoke I like. Now, I might throw some Mulberry wood on there to help increase the heat but that's about it. The smoke flavor from burning wood seems to have lost its
appeal to me. but that's just me and mine.

Actually, I really don't use wood that much. Just some lump and briqs seem to supply all the smoke I like. Now, I might throw some Mulberry wood on there to help increase the heat but that's about it. The smoke flavor from burning wood seems to have lost its
appeal to me. but that's just me and mine.

We use a lot of Mesquite, that's what's mostly available other than Hickory locally where I reside right now.

Your mix of wood should be fine. I think the better question is what temp should I be cooking at? Chicken will not be very good cooking below 325. Skin turns to rubber, instead of being crispy.

i'd try to keep the temps around 300 then bump up at the end fo finish. Remember chicken is small meat parts, it should never need more than 2 hours in the heat. Ribs, 3.5 hours at 300, depending on weight.

If you need more than 2 hours to finish your chicken, there is something terribly wrong.

First time out of the gate, I would try apple if you can find it. Yardbirds love apple wood.

Chicken doesn't want much smoke and it should be a mild wood. Apple or grapevine would be great.
Ribs can take a bigger wood such as Oak or Hickory. Mesquite has such a strong smoke flavor that you have to be quite experienced to use it. It can make food uneatable(it that a word?).

I like chicken in Apple, ribs in a combo of apple and hickory. Just don't overdo it.

Back