• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My first smoked goose - Any suggestions?

wjwheeler

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
A friend of mine wants me to smoke a goose for Thanksgiving. This is a first for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Keep the temp low, try to time it so it takes 4 hours to get to 165f.
It's about 70 mins per kilo.
We use wet muslin cloth and wrap it for the first 1.5 hrs.

Oh, and whoever eats goose, especially roast goose, will be at you to do it instead of turkey next year.

Keep the temp low, try to time it so it takes 4 hours to get to 165f.
It's about 70 mins per kilo.
We use wet muslin cloth and wrap it for the first 1.5 hrs.

Oh, and whoever eats goose, especially roast goose, will be at you to do it instead of turkey next year.

I was just reading an article about smoking a goose, and ^^^this is pretty much what they said, right down to the cheese cloth. It also said that the skin would be unpleasant to eat because of being cooked at the low temperature, so you might consider taking the nearly cooked goose and putting it in a pre-heated 350* oven to let the skin crisp up and brown.

^^I do that because downunder NOBODY likes smoked skin texture, oven at 425f

British influence I think, goose used to be very popular but now it is getting rarer and that is a pity

No matter how you wind up cooking it, put some slits in the skin so the fat will render out of the bird. It's pretty greasy otherwise.

I have cooke duck several times, and duck can be very fatty -- especially farm raised duck.

I have never cooked goose (although my goose has been cooked), but I have heard that goose can be rather dry and tough, especially the breast meat.

Maybe some experienced goose cooking brethren can shed some light on this.

CD

Back