• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rib Membrane on Hot & Fast Ribs?

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I usually take the membrane off, but today have 9 racks to do and after re watching Pitmaster T's video see he leaves his on.

I am not lazy, but have found my hot & fast ribs are much better than any other way I cook them. That is as long as the smoker has enough meat on it to keep them moist.

I wonder if the high heat and membrane side down would make taking the membrane off a waste of time.

I believe for low and slow they should be removed, but for those who have cooked hot and fast, could you tell the difference?

I've done them both ways. I prefer to remove them. Only thing I always do for full spares. Cooked, the membrane reminds me of plastic.

I've not done it, but there are folks that remove the membrane after they are cooked. Theory is it helps keep the ribs moist during the cook. I just remove before cooking but I may try this technique.

I cook ribs on the hotter side at 275+ and I've done them every way. Membrane removed, left on, scored, etc. Personally, I don't think any of my guests could tell the difference, and even to me, the difference in texture is minimal, although I can tell the ones with the membrane removed are ever so slightly more tender, but nothing to get worked up about.

I don't buy into any of that holding the moisture crap, and since I already have a knife out to trim and pulling the membrane takes a mere 15 extra seconds a slab, I usually just pull it off anyway.

When I do hot I'll do them at 300-325F until done, however long that may take.

I always pull mine off regardless of how they are cooked...agree with the plastic comment.

I can't help it......:oops:

If you use tenda quick the membrane is not a problem. It's a great help to hold your perfectly seasoned and perfectly tender ribs together.:heh::heh::heh:

I sell ribs every week in the summer and NEVER remove the membrane. I also cook hot...325-ish. I'm in my second year of selling and in all that time the only person ever to comment on the membrane not being removed was a fellow barbecue guy. Of course he bought a rack..and the following week he bought another one :mrgreen::mrgreen:
The vast majority of people either don't notice or don't care....

Back