• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

pulled vs chopped

big blue bbq

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I have my first catering gig coming up on Sunday. I plann on cooking the meat on a friday of a comp. Gives me something to do after setting up.
I saw someones catering calculator and it said you get 50% yeild on pulled pork, but 65% yeild on chopped. Can anyone explain the difference for this?

Larry

If you are going to chop you could take the meat of the smoker at a lower temp. Theoretically, there would be less shrinkage but I don't think it would be that much. I would just go with the 50%.

Yields are usually translated to pounds and then to ounces per serving. Cooking down a butt, before you pull or slice it, gives you about 50% of the original weight.

From that point, an ounce of chopped is the same as a ounce of pulled.

Perhaps chopped uses less per serving on a sandwich, but I haven't noticed it.

I did not know if it had to do with adding more of the fat in with the chopped or what. I will go with the 50% and cook about 100 pounds. There are 129 people, most will be doing sandwiches. I think they will be putting the meat on themselves so probably about 4 ounces per sammy. Some will eat two, some may just do some on the plate. In the 129 is some children who they are fixing hot dogs for. All leftovers go home to the freezer so no biggy if I cook too much, just don't want to run out.

If you are going to chop you could take the meat of the smoker at a lower temp. Theoretically, there would be less shrinkage but I don't think it would be that much. I would just go with the 50%.

I agree. You could pull the meat at a temp more suited for slicing a pork roast.:-D

I did not know if it had to do with adding more of the fat in with the chopped or what. I will go with the 50% and cook about 100 pounds. There are 129 people, most will be doing sandwiches. I think they will be putting the meat on themselves so probably about 4 ounces per sammy. Some will eat two, some may just do some on the plate. In the 129 is some children who they are fixing hot dogs for. All leftovers go home to the freezer so no biggy if I cook too much, just don't want to run out.

I use a pretty large bun when I cater and I figure 5.5 ounces per sammie or 2 servings per pound. If you figure 129 people that is 43 lbs of cooked pork or 86 lbs of raw. If it were me that is how much I would cook. I know some will be kids etc., but I always see some men who get two big arse sammies as well. You just don't want to run short.

When You chop it, you can add in the fat that you would have thown away. Fat = Flavor!

"pulled vs chopped "

This seems to be the question Lorena Bobbitt pondered and I know which one I prefer!!!:shock:

Chopped has a better presentation than pulled but I always like a little less fat in my meal. Pulled is my preference.

"pulled vs chopped "

This seems to be the question Lorena Bobbitt pondered and I know which one I prefer!!!:shock:

Chopped has a better presentation than pulled but I always like a little less fat in my meal. Pulled is my preference.

That kicked arse!!!! :lol:

Back