Help in Breast area...

Capt ron

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
If anyone is bbq'in chicken breasts for competitions?
What is the preferred? Bone-in or boneless breasts? I hear people about talk about doing breasts but no specifications on which one they do that come out dry... What it the temp you want to reach before the point of it turning into sawdust?Thanks in advance for they help and have a great week
Capt

Capt. Ron,

I know it is legal to turn-in chicken breast, but are they not too large to put 6 of them in a turn-in box?

Cook them on the bone to retain moisture. You can remove easily after fully cooked. I'd cook them short of 165, maybe 155 - 160. After 140-145 you are in the safe zone for bacteria.

Make it easy on yourself and do thighs! Everybody and their mother does em but they usually win. :-D

Isn't that the problem....that everyone does thighs? Is there an argument to be made that being different could make you stand out?

On that end... I agree that thighs are great, but most non-BBQ civilians only want white meat. Any idea what how many civilians make up the judging panel at any given contest?

I know there are a few teams turning in both! And winning! We have been practicing but can't get the breast right yet.

On that end... I agree that thighs are great, but most non-BBQ civilians only want white meat. Any idea what how many civilians make up the judging panel at any given contest?

Really depends on the contest. A lot of organizers are trying to get as many CBJs as possible.

Cook them on the bone to retain moisture. You can remove easily after fully cooked. I'd cook them short of 165, maybe 155 - 160. After 140-145 you are in the safe zone for bacteria.
ServSafe still uses 145 - beef, fish and pork, 155 ground beef or pork, 165 poultry. Just took the test.

I know there are a few teams turning in both! And winning! We have been practicing but can't get the breast right yet.

Some teams can win without thighs, but most don't. Why push that rock uphill? If a top team like Smoke On Wheels can't get breasts right, that should give you an idea of just how high that hill is. :p

If anyone is bbq'in chicken breasts for competitions?
What is the preferred? Bone-in or boneless breasts? I hear people about talk about doing breasts but no specifications on which one they do that come out dry... What it the temp you want to reach before the point of it turning into sawdust?Thanks in advance for they help and have a great week
Capt

We had some success last year with breast only and breast/thigh combo boxes. When done well, the breast can be very tender and moist. I wouldn't cook them much past 160F.

This thread has a severly misleading title...

We've tried thighs and wings. I don't think I can consistently produce a really perfect breast. As for the amount, two sliced up would be plenty.

I've won with white meat, but being the King of Brining, you already know my secret.

Two keys: Brining and temp.

I wouldn't try to guess what judges like/don't like. I've actually heard it all ways; I like white meat, I don't like white meat, I like dark meat, I don't like dark meat.

Just make sure if you ever turn it in, that it's not overcooked AND it's tender. That's the challenge.

Capt. Ron,

I know it is legal to turn-in chicken breast, but are they not too large to put 6 of them in a turn-in box?

Sawdust, you don't have to turn in 6 whole breasts, you just have to have 6 pieces. There are a lot of options. 3 cut in 1/2; 4 cut up into larger chunks, 6 whole breasts. I did that one, did well with it, but the size/shape is pretty hard to find.

I cook bone on like Todd suggested.

Organizers typically try to get as many CBJ's as possible, but in my experience the judges don't really care if the meat is white or dark as long as it is cooked right. I have rarely seen a breast that is not dry by the time it gets to our table. On those rare occasions, however, it can be really really great.

I like the idea of cooking it on the bone and then removing it to box. I will be stealing that one if I ever do breasts. :thumb:

Back