Trying to build a decent knife collection.

I can't think of anything acceptable to say about using the former collection to adjust the latter.

Let's just say that I understand the confusion (they are similar topics) and have made the same adjustment, once, way successfully, as has Toast, who has submitted videos to prove it.

I can, however, spell better! Not that this has value.

Back to the topic, please. Creamics rule, period, end of story. Someone flame me, please!

I'd love to find some steel not made in Muroran taking 6 craftsmen's entire lives that equals it, cheap!

Very well said Sir! :pound:

All I can say is Thank God for Spell check!

The kyoceras were never made for hacking. Still gonna need a rusty trusty beast killa of some kine.

Very well said Sir! :pound:

All I can say is Thank God for Spell check!
You could thank God for the spelling before it got spell checked, but you have to thank mankind for spell check itself, no?:tongue: :becky:

The kyoceras were never made for hacking. Still gonna need a rusty trusty beast killa of some kine.

True, it has been said before in the thread but bears repeating.
No 1 cause of death is shock and torsion, be careful with them.

This place has spell check?!?!?! All that drinking time wasted re=-reading my own typo'5s wasted. Dang!

Nonono - of course u keep some Henkle's to hack & whack - Before cooking!! After cooking, no knife should be needed, and, if so, ceramic like a surgeon!

This place has spell check?!?!?! All that drinking time wasted re=-reading my own typo'5s wasted. Dang!

Nonono - of course u keep some Henkle's to hack & whack - Before cooking!! After cooking, no knife should be needed, and, if so, ceramic like a surgeon!

Actually it's the web browser. You need to visit WP once and awhile. I see you have the making of a Real Whackadoolerer. :grin:

I'm kind of a knife junkie... I got into Japanese carbon steel kitchen knives about 10 years ago and I've never looked back. Here's my most recent acquisition...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwSww23hYlU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwSww23hYlU[/ame]

And this is probably one of the BEST resources on the web for sourcing kitchen cutting-steel and sharpening equipment...

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/

And this is how I sharpen mine...

8245653843_d37ce0d33e_b.jpg

I could talk for hours on end about kitchen knives.... :tape:

Love your over the sink rig for your water stones! Very ingenious and practical. I would love to learn how to properly hand sharpen on a water stone, but I have trouble maintaining a proper and consistent angle. I am impressed by people who have that ability.

Love your over the sink rig for your water stones! Very ingenious and practical. I would love to learn how to properly hand sharpen on a water stone, but I have trouble maintaining a proper and consistent angle. I am impressed by people who have that ability.
That's the point at which I gave up. It seems impossible to keep the proper angle. Plus it's work I can spare myself by using a good (emphasis) electric sharpener and buying ceramics for the real work. My steels work fine and are nicely uniform under magnification, and the ceramics are every bit as sharp as a properly (KCMike! :clap:) sharpened steel.
Next: I'm a fan of japanese (what's it called) folded layer forging steel, having seen it done in an old sword shop in Japan, and think that the real advantage was uniformity of the resultant steel blade. Do modern forging techniques achieve the same uniformity without all that work?

Actually it's the web browser. You need to visit WP once and awhile. I see you have the making of a Real Whackadoolerer. :grin:
And, as for that, :blah:
1) I didn't mean spell-check, now that I think of it. More like a breathalyzer for my keyboard. Spell check wouldn't fix that problem, just make it harder when impaired.
2) Is Whackadoolerer one of the odd rankings we get for number of posts? If so, I'll never get there, cause I just dive bomb the topics I like, like this one. We need a mod doing quality of posts ratings, and this discussion belongs elsewhere (WP or DT [drunk tank]) , so apologies to the thread folks!:oops::focus:

Been through loads of knives and I'm pretty well settled on my wild mix of whart feels good in the hand. Someday I'll find a full set of top quality I'm comfortable with and the money to afford it.

And, as for that, :blah:
1) I didn't mean spell-check, now that I think of it. More like a breathalyzer for my keyboard. Spell check wouldn't fix that problem, just make it harder when impaired.
2) Is Whackadoolerer one of the odd rankings we get for number of posts? If so, I'll never get there, cause I just dive bomb the topics I like, like this one. We need a mod doing quality of posts ratings, and this discussion belongs elsewhere (WP or DT [drunk tank]) , so apologies to the thread folks!:oops::focus:

Ahhh, Why didn't you say so? I can sure relate! :icon_smile_tongue:

kcmike, Thanks for that very informative post. Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for that Konosuke 10" ?

Mighty fine rig there.

Me too. I've had recommendations about diamond dust electric wheel sharpeners with 3 pre-angled grooves.

I picked up the Shun Classic 8" Chef's knife at the Kershaw knife sale this weekend for $100. Retails for about $180. Damn it's awesome! I'll likely lose a finger soon though...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354758294.229296.jpg

That's the point at which I gave up. It seems impossible to keep the proper angle. Plus it's work I can spare myself by using a good (emphasis) electric sharpener and buying ceramics for the real work. My steels work fine and are nicely uniform under magnification, and the ceramics are every bit as sharp as a properly (KCMike! :clap:) sharpened steel.
Next: I'm a fan of japanese (what's it called) folded layer forging steel, having seen it done in an old sword shop in Japan, and think that the real advantage was uniformity of the resultant steel blade. Do modern forging techniques achieve the same uniformity without all that work?

It's really not that hard to learn. It's just muscle memory. Trust me, I ruined many an edge before becoming proficient. The nice thing about steel is that it can be reformed, so if you screw up, just go again.

By "Modern forging techniques", I'm assuming you're talking about Western techniques employed by German and American bladesmiths. The techniques used between Japanese and Western knife makers are somewhat similar (except for the hand-made Japanese blades). It's the steel used, the heat treat, and the blade geometry that truly separate them. Nearly all Western knives (except the old French carbon steel Sabatier knives) are made from much softer stainless steel. The difference in hardness is quite large. Most Western knives range around 54-56 Rc, whereas Japanese knives typically fall in the 60-64 Rc range. The other major difference is the type of steel used. Japanese knife makers use steels that can be made much harder and still hold an edge without chipping, while the Western makers use much softer, and less exotic stainless steels. The last major difference is the thickness of the blades. On average, Japanese knives are much thinner and lighter than their Western counter parts.

kcmike, Thanks for that very informative post. Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for that Konosuke 10" ?

Mighty fine rig there.

I don't remember exactly, but it was somewhere north of three bills... :tape:

Me too. I've had recommendations about diamond dust electric wheel sharpeners with 3 pre-angled grooves.

I may get flamed for this, but IMHO, all electric sharpeners are junk...

The perception of sharpness is relative. Many people have never actually experienced a truly sharp kitchen knife. But once you do, you'll immediately recognize the difference. Just ask Wayne from MoKan Meatheads. He won one of my gift baskets at last year's Kooker's Kare winter banquet. That basket contained a Japanese carbon steel gyuto (chef's knife) which I had hand sharpened. That knife had an edge honed down to less than a quarter of a micron (~60,000 grit)...

Back