• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Looking into Toy Haulers

Interesting read. I am a few years away but keep looking to see what is out there. I had never seen the side ramp before either.

I was also wondering about 5th wheel vs bumper pull. Is it mainly drag and maneuverability?

Interesting read. I am a few years away but keep looking to see what is out there. I had never seen the side ramp before either.

I was also wondering about 5th wheel vs bumper pull. Is it mainly drag and maneuverability?

Fith Wheel is just to big for us I am pretty good getting into tight spots the bumper pull will do just fine. A side ramp with a full size cargo area would be sweet.

What do you use as a tow vehicle? I wouldn't mind having something like this but I would need to stay with something easily pulled by a F150

Shouldn't be a problem they are in the 4 to 5000lb range. My 1500 chevy with tow package does 7700 lbs

What do you use as a tow vehicle? I wouldn't mind having something like this but I would need to stay with something easily pulled by a F150
I have a F250 5.4L gas engine. Pulls it just fine.

Wish I had a diesel because I'm only getting 8mpg when pulling it with a full load.

Looking at some of these, I am surprised by the dry hitch (tongue) weight. I have a 2001 F150 with the towing package. The hitch is only rated for 600lbs but many of the smaller toy haulers exceed that before any weight is added to the trailer.

Looking at some of these, I am surprised by the dry hitch (tongue) weight. I have a 2001 F150 with the towing package. The hitch is only rated for 600lbs but many of the smaller toy haulers exceed that before any weight is added to the trailer.

That seems low what class receiver is it.

Not sure what class it is, but, I was wrong, the sticker on the side actually says it is rated for a 5000lb trailer, 500lb tongue weight or 8700lb trailer 870lb tongue weight with weight distribution. But it also says dependent on vehicle rating.

According to the owners manual, I can pull a trailer up to 7200lbs with my GCWR being 12,500

Have an 18 foot Forrest River Work & Play. works great and pull it with a Tundra. Plenty of room for an FEC100, FEPG500, cambro, coolers, my wife's junk, Freddy, Emma and her junk, etc. Slow down to 55 and get 10-11, go like a bat out of hell and get 6. The rest are in between. Get what is comfortable with you and your family and will fit in most of the comp sites that you cook at.

Not sure what class it is, but, I was wrong, the sticker on the side actually says it is rated for a 5000lb trailer, 500lb tongue weight or 8700lb trailer 870lb tongue weight with weight distribution. But it also says dependent on vehicle rating.

According to the owners manual, I can pull a trailer up to 7200lbs with my GCWR being 12,500

I went through that with mine also and finally called a chevy tech to get it straight.

We pull a 31' Raptor toyhauler with our Dodge 1500 heavy duty.(rated 10250) Dry weight on the camper is 8700 lbs off the assy. line,
We dont get in any hurry.( interstate speed 63-65)
Can cook off the door or roll off to the ground. We cook on a Backwoods Competitor and Momma just bought a used Backwoods Chubby.
when we unload. the garage is my air conditioned prep area complet with prep table. coolers and cambro.
Momma also has her bedroom up front where she can sleep in peace on cook night. And we all know what they say about Momma being happy.
It also has a built in 4000watt generator.
I would pull this anywhere if we had a 3/4 ton wirh a diesel.

Last edited:
We pull a 31' Raptor toyhauler with our Dodge 1500 heavy duty.(rated 10250) Dry weight on the camper is 8700 lbs off the assy. line,
We dont get in any hurry.( interstate speed 63-65)
Can cook off the door or roll off to the ground. We cook on a Backwoods Competitor and Momma just bought a used Backwoods Chubby.
when we unload. the garage is my air conditioned prep area complet with prep table. coolers and cambro.
Momma also has her bedroom up front where she can sleep in peace on cook night. And we all know what they say about Momma being happy.
It also has a built in 4000KW generator.
I would pull this anywhere if we had a 3/4 ton wirh a diesel.

Nice man thanks for the pics!

Last edited:
I have a Honda 3000 generator I use at comps. One thing I'll get if we ever get another toy hauler is a built in generator so I don't have to refuel it in the middle of the night/morning. When we were looking I noticed the side ramped models seemed to have less weight capacity. Be sure to keep that in mind.

This might be a good sticky thread for all to view going through the same process. Hint Hint Mods:becky: Going to look at a few more this weekend will take pics.

Back