• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) Question

caliking, think about that UDS-tandoor you have, think about how much different it cooks, even though the outside diameter is a 55 gallon drum, the inside is quite different. A tandoor that does not taper to the top, cooks different.

In the sense of BBQing this is insulating.
c9d93f33aab8daa0717f92c760b6bf34.jpg

Not to say powder coat isn't used to insulate it.

On the flip of the coin too, can you prove that its the powder coat that insulates it and makes the temps so rock steady?? That is what you originally posted was it not? I simply gave you feedback saying, and sorry for not clarifying that it was my opinion and not fact, that in the sense of BBQing, powder coat may not be insulating the PBC, or since you corrected me, may not be doing it well. I was saying that there are other factors to consider whether they be factually supportable or not. That is the jist of what I was trying to get at. I guess I failed.

When all else is equal except for the size of the drum and a powder coating, it doesnt take a genius to put two and two together, especially when we know for a fact powder coating provides insulation. I am not assuming the gauge of the steel and coming to conclusions, do you see where im going with this?

Ive derailed this thread enough, we can agree to disagree about the insulating properties of powder coating. You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink.

Guys-

the pbc holds rock steady temps b/c you put the exact same amount of the exact same charcoal in each time in a cooker with the exact same preset vents. he drum is also somewhat efficient. Therefore you get the exact same temp held out for an extended period of time. Powder coating and the like might have a little to do with it, but it can't be as big as the previous points.

Also- in regards to Uds's, I havent seen many charcoal baskets that were as beefy as the PBC's. The thing is built to withstand natural disasters.

But, you could probably do the same thing in a wsm if you set the vents in a certain place. However, I would still probably recommend getting a pbc unless you already have a wsm/too much other stuff.

Last edited:
14 " diameter x 27 " high.

Just a fYI, the PBC is a 30 gallon drum, not 15 gallon. All standard weber 18" cooking grates will drop right in. Oh I hope I didn't give away any trade secrets!

Guys-

the pbc holds rock steady temps b/c you put the exact same amount of the exact same charcoal in each time in a cooker with the exact same preset vents. he drum is also somewhat efficient. Therefore you get the exact same temp held out for an extended period of time. Powder coating and the like might have a little to do with it, but it can't be as big as the previous points.

Exactly what I was attempting to explain. Powder coating or not, there are other bigger factors at play. To me, even though it helps insulate it, the powder coating isn't the magic bean that makes the PBC hold temp so well.

I guess in the end it was never worth my time. :roll:

Back