*** Brethren Member Map ***

Hi there

Absolute beginner here, with only gas and kettle so far. I've started smoking a little on the kettle, and am now looking at either a WSM or an offset to get more serious.

I'm based in Belgium.

Hello there friends,

I live in MA and I have been grilling for about 30 years and smoking for about 10. I absolutely love grilling and smoking all year long. Even during snow storms!!! I probably go through 500 to 600 pounds of charcoal per year.

I have a brinkmann offset I use strictly as a grill. I have two wsm. A weber kettle. Two drum smokers I've built.

Hello from Pleasanton CA

Hello. I am from the bay area and a new to smoking bbq. I've done normal gas cook/coal cooking but looking forward to experiencing true bbq. Mak2 is ordered and ready to suck in and share the experience.

Hello, my brother and I live in Jacksonville, FL. We started smoking about 8 years ago with a Masterbuilt electric smoker. Learned a lot about times/temps and have moved on to Pit Barrels. Time for us to move up to a larger offset rig for larger gatherings.

We've come to learn from the crafty veterans and maybe one day provide some tips of our own.

Hello everyone. Added myself to the BBQ brethren map. Live in the Chicago suburbs.
My wife bought me a WSM in March and I try to use it whenever the opportunity arises. Unfortunately smoking a for a large group is not an option for me at the moment. Hopefully things will improve in 2021.

Hello all, first post to the thread, at least under this name. Realized that when I put my name to the map I had an old account under an old email that I never use anymore. So back again and ready for BBQ season up here in northern Michigan. Started off with a Brinkman way back when, then made my own UDS a few years ago. Did pork butts and loins, brisket, beef and pork ribs, turkey on that thing. Still planning on using it, but today I took the plunge to the dark side/evil empire/whatever you wanna call it, and picked up a vertical pellet smoker. Burn-off coming soon, looking forward to some great cooks on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0887.jpg
    IMG_0887.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 127
Hello everyone!

Novice learning to smoke foods - so far have only done tri tip, ribs, and a turkey. Attempting to work with an offset.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Hey all! Excited to learn a thing or two or maybe more like 1,000's of things.

I just ordered an OKJ Bandera for my first foray into stick burning (after previously using an electric cabinet smoker...or maybe more fitting, an outdoor crockpot). This site seemed like a must join after looking into it a bit.

Sarth67, if you're around and see this I saw your firebox lid mod and it looks like a great idea. I may head out to Harbor Freight and then hunt down some 1/4" steel before it even gets delivered! Any "watch outs" now that it looks like you've had that lid like that for a while?

Hey all! Excited to learn a thing or two or maybe more like 1,000's of things.

I just ordered an OKJ Bandera for my first foray into stick burning (after previously using an electric cabinet smoker...or maybe more fitting, an outdoor crockpot). This site seemed like a must join after looking into it a bit.

Sarth67, if you're around and see this I saw your firebox lid mod and it looks like a great idea. I may head out to Harbor Freight and then hunt down some 1/4" steel before it even gets delivered! Any "watch outs" now that it looks like you've had that lid like that for a while?

Hi Kevin!

It is unlikely that he will see this. You may want to try sending him a private message or post the question for everyone in the QTalk section.

Hello All, rque here hailing from the Rochester, NY area. Been lurking the last few months and finally decided to join.

I started smoking with my 22” Weber kettle and the old Smokinator before finally replacing it with a SnS this year. I also picked up a PBJ to see what UDS was all about and bring it along on camp/cottage trips. Looking forward to learning even more about bbq and smoking as I’m looking to pickup a new “real” smoker next year (which means ordering soon!).

Amateur Smoker from PNW

I am Gokul; I live in Bothell, Washington. I know nothing about BBQ, but I got inspiration from my neighbor, who smokes every day. While cooking, I find my backyard filled with a beautiful aroma. I wanted to learn the art, but I wanted to start smaller instead of buying big boys. Hence I bought a New Braunfels smoker, which requires some love and planning to restore and begin smoking this summer. This is a wonderful platform to meet like-minded people and share knowledge. Great work. Thanks for accepting me to join this group.

Just put my name on the map. See me in a recent Cattle Call!!!

Jarrell, TX

Hi from the Seattle/Tacoma area.

I started with a basic charcoal BBQ but have used propane for the last 15 years or so. First a Costco special and for the past 5+ years a LYNX L42PSFR-2-LP.

The LYNX is a beautiful grill but I’ve wanted to get a bit closer to a smoker and thought a pellet grill would be a simple way to start. After some research I ended up ordering a MAK Two-Star General today and now I wait for a couple months. I’ll keep the LYNX for fast cooks and infrared searing but I expect the pellet grill will get most of the use.

I’ll have lots of time to learn, and I have a lot to learn, now that I am retired. Other interests are photography, golf, hiking, biking, scuba, wine and traveling, traveling because my wife loves it, I traveled enough for work where staying home is OK with me.

Greetings from Neerijse, Belgium,

Hi everyone,
Me man, me make fire and put meat on it ��
I'm a bbq enthusiast from Belgium, whenever the weather is smiling upon us I lit up my BBQ.
Always willing to learn new techniques and recepies, love to experiment.

Kimd regards

Added

Thanks guys, just added myself to the map, thanks again for the add. :-D

Todd

Hi from Fort Knox

Hi everyone!

Just moved to Kentucky and got myself a Bandera vertical offset and found this forum looking for tips, tricks, and hacks for the smoker. Downloaded a copy of the Bandera 101 and will be working on some of the ideas in it.

I've been smoking/grilling, etc for several years, really just dabbling. I've tried lots of different set ups: Weber Kettle, Vertical Propane smoker, Bradly Smoker, Pellet grill (not Traeger), and now this vertical offset. Haven't spent enough time with the Bandera to make a decision. Maybe this will be "the one" ;)

I like that its vertical so I can do summer sausage, Kielbasa, etc. I have found that it takes a LOT of Charcoal to keep it at temp. Will be trying some hardwood chunks this next weekend!

Keep smokin'!

Dave

Hi from Indiana

Hey everyone,

I've been an avid smoker on my RT-590 since Sep '19. I didn't know smoking would become such an addictive hobby to the point where it's my passion. I love the wood pellet, I think it's awesome for entry level, and it's a great way to understand how to handle meat without caring about the pit. I don't call myself a pitmaster for that reason. At this point, I'm needing to up my game and learn about actual fire management. I want to be a pitmaster.

I smoke year round in rain or snow, and where I'm moving there will be a lot more snow.

Right now I'm in the market for a backyard/patio offset or more preferably a reverse flow stick burner (made in the US and US steel only please), which is part of the reason I wanted to sign up here for suggestions and advice. I've already looked into Shirley and Johnson custom smokers. Feel free to point me to the best threads and looking forward to joining the community!

Back