Glaze for competitions

J

JW

Hello everyone, I have a guestion concerning glazes used on your ribs, pulled pork, or anything your turning in to compete with. This is an area that I've been having problems in. The judges constantly give high marks on taste, texture and so on but there is really no POP or eyecatching shine on the meat when you open the box so appearance lacks in scoring. Most of the recipies I have give the appearance of having plain BBQ sauce poured over it, even when brushed on, no shine or sweet glaze crust to taste, anyone got any suggestions? Last contest we placed 5th in shoulders and chickens and 7th overall and this is generally where the team stays in most comps. Need suggestions to push into the top 3, need the WOW factor. Help!

Add some butter to your sauce, and some honey. Helps give a nice shine. Put in on in the last minutes and set the sauce in a hot chamber. I put it in the hot spot, no where near any flames. I just want to set the sauce, not char or carmelize it to much.

Thanks for the info BBQchef33, I'll try it. I think my mistake is that I usually add some honey during the last 15 minutes while the meat is on the smoker so that it will kinda melt onto the meat then I would apply my sauce. I'll instead mix it up like you suggested and brush it on when I put the meat in the box for turn in.

Thanks

i scored well when i put some pepper jelly on my ribs, nice and shiny

Many Thanks to my fellow Brethren for all the great advise. I will be smokin' at home for awhile before my next comp so I'll have time to try out everyones suggestions. Thanks again and keep smokin'!

i have never been in a competition but when i am serving at home and i want the stuff to look extra special nice i glaze everything with peach, apricot or apple jelly. you gotta melt it down in a pan first. bakerys use this trick for making fruit tarts shiny. it adds a little sweet zing to the stuff too, just start with the clear stuff. i've seen apricot jelly that looked more like preserves. also, i never used it as a glaze but you could try guava paste also.

phil

Back