Newbie Playbook?

Unfathomable Bastid

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey Brethren,

I'm ready to step up my game this Summer through competition. Was wondering if there is a thread somewhere that walks me through some of the basic strategy of competition, and can help me navigate the process. I'm in Michigan (Detroit area). Among the things I'd be interested in is:

- Equipment
- Useful Accessories
- Schedules/Timing
- Prep Strategy
- Box Creation

Not looking to steal anyone's secrets. I can cook my own competition Q. But the logistical side of competition seems to be a learning process I'm trying to cut down on.

Any help is hugely appreciated!

-Bastid

The best, and quickest way to learn those aspects would to be hooking up with another team as a "pit-bitc$" for one full competition. Nothing beats hands on experience. Be prepared to run errands, wash dishes, and what every else needs to get done.(bring beer)

Great Lakes BBQ association. Event next weekend I think in eagle lake. Go out and look and talk to people.

Eagle should be a good opportunity to get your feet wet and you can get more info at that here:

http://www.glbbqa.com/

Also, If you are willing to make the trek over to the Chicago area, memorial day weekend, you could shadow the Sweet Racks & Smokin' Butts crew

There are a few good books, Starting the Fire, as JP said, is a good one.

But, there is also going out and working with an established team, even just being a helper, it really shows you what it's all about.

Yep, Georges book is a good one! I have a copy I'd be willing to forward to someone.
We'll be at Westmont memorial day weekend also....we can show ya what NOT to do Bastid':mrgreen:

I am in the same boat, have been looking for a team to help out at at comp or charity events etc... Glad you posted this thread and thanks everyone for contributing some info for us news!

You can always just sign up and do one. You figure a lot out quick, keep a notebook of what you need next time.

Back