I don't know what tender is.

Tim Campbell

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have been doing chuck roasts as a cheap way to learn. I did one and some beef ribs on Saturday. I thought they probed tender but they were tough.

With chuck roasts, I like to go by fork tender as in sticking a fork in the meat and turning it. If it turns and the meat pulls easily, it's done. It's hard to do probe tender given the many large pockets of fat as you can easily hit one of those and it feels much more tender.

Do you foil at any point?

When you probed it, did you poke random spots around the entire piece or just one spot?

Foil is my friend when cooking Chuck Roasts, and like they ^ said probe all over.

Good advice above. Both chucks and ribs are trickier than brisket in terms of tenderness. Both need to be cooked longer than you think it needs compared to brisket when starting out. You don't want brisket cooked to pullable temps, but chuck you do want pullable, so there's the reason for that one taking longer. For ribs, it's about the sheer amount of connective tissue. It will start to probe tender, but really, until the meat is about ready to just pull apart from the bone it's still going to have quite a bit of chew.

Keep plugging away. It can be frustrating while mastering it, but once you got it, things are a lot smoother sailing from then on in general (although you will still screw up now and then).

Keep plugging away. It can be frustrating while mastering it, but once you got it, things are a lot smoother sailing from then on in general (although you will still screw up now and then).
Chris nailed it, once you reach that point it is like a lightbulb going off in your head and it will seem like a no-brainer.

Foil is my friend when cooking Chuck Roasts, and like they ^ said probe all over.

I'm in this boat too. Foil really helps chuck roasts. They seem to take a little longer to get pulling tender than I initially thought they would. Not like exactly like butts. I smoke till about 160ish then foil or my new favorite (which a lot of folks do) is to smoke to 160 then put in a pan with peppers & onions and foil and let finish.

I'm in this boat too. Foil really helps chuck roasts. They seem to take a little longer to get pulling tender than I initially thought they would. Not like exactly like butts. I smoke till about 160ish then foil or my new favorite (which a lot of folks do) is to smoke to 160 then put in a pan with peppers & onions and foil and let finish.

Same here. 160*, in a pan of bell peppers, onions and some beef broth. Cover with foil and back on. I usually find that if it takes 4 hours to 160* it's about 2 -3 to finish. let it rest for an hour in a warm oven helps too. Crank the oven to about 200* then turn it off and slide the pan in. Once you get it you're gonna go................:doh:

I don't know what tender is.
I have been doing chuck roasts as a cheap way to learn. I did one and some beef ribs on Saturday. I thought they probed tender but they were tough.
May be this mental visual aid will help you determine what Probe tender actually "Feels Like"
Think about That good Hot Monkey love when you and the little Woman are Huck-a-Buckin..... GOT IT!?! That is Probe tender.:mrgreen:

I don't know what tender is. May be this mental visual aid will help you determine what Probe tender actually "Feels Like"
Think about That good Hot Monkey love when you and the little Woman are Huck-a-Buckin..... GOT IT!?! That is Probe tender.:mrgreen:

nail on da head.................PERFECT..:biggrin1:

I don't know what tender is. May be this mental visual aid will help you determine what Probe tender actually "Feels Like"

HAHAHA! :clap:

Try this and watch what happens:
Marinate roast several hours.
Remove roast from pan/marinade, and place in smoker. (save the marinade)
Smoke for 90 minutes @ 250.
Place roast back in pan with leftover marinade and add 1 can of beef broth.
Cover with foil and continue cooking 3 more hours @ 350.
Tear it apart, mix with the au'jus.
Also, consider sirloin tip roasts instead. ;)

dang, I been doing something wrong then :twitch:

all meats ....when there done there done...sometimes very hard to put a time on it..but when a chuck is done, I let it cook an hour longer..then let it rest..good eaten..and I thin k I will try the huck a buck method this weekend...just have to get the probe ready....

Back